Buying A Stock Trailer - Height, Length, Price, etc

Last post 02-14-2007 12:32 AM by kara83809. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 02-14-2007 12:32 AM

Buying A Stock Trailer - Height, Length, Price, etc

I just looked back on some previous posts & found some great information.

I'm wondering what length trailer I should look for to haul 2 horses? What is the minimum height?

What are some prices you've paid or seen on some good used trailers? Are there any particular brands you love, or would stay away from? Steel or aluminum? Anything else?

Thanks!
  • 02-14-2007 12:37 AM In reply to

Re: Buying A Stock Trailer - Height, Length, Price, etc

I only know about height and my horse will not fit in anything lower than 7ft tall. Length--I would think you'd need a 12ft (at least)if it's a straight load...
  • 02-14-2007 2:10 AM In reply to

It would really all depend on how big your horses are Wink Make sure the trailer you get is plenty big for them.

I luff our trailer, but we need to sell it to get a super tall, super wide one :P Darn horses just keep getting taller and longer- LOL!
  • 02-14-2007 2:23 AM In reply to

Well once Stitch is fully grown I'll have 2 average sized (15 hd) horses, but who knows what the future holds? I know I'd probably want more than 6 feet tall..... but I'm debating on if I need to get a 7 foot?

I'd prefer to have them each loose in the trailer.... one in front with the divider... and one in back. I think.. lol. I really don't know a whole lot about trailering yet.

I always hitched a ride to shows with whomever I could (many years ago!). Except for an occasional trip to the vet recently (compliments of the former BO), I really haven't had to trailer in a long, long time.

I don't really want a 2 horse straight load. I don't want a slant load at all. I have no prior experience with stock trailers..... Blushexcept for the fact that I'm pretty sure that's what I want! Grin
  • 02-14-2007 2:32 AM In reply to

Oh I'm just so indecisive!!! Smirk There are some nice 2 horse trailers out there. And I see more of them for sale, and at reasonable prices.

Someone mentioned that they would provide more protection from the elements ~ should I be trailering in bad/cold weather. Then again, chances of me travelling under those circumstances are slim to none. Some of the trailers I've seen are just TOO enclosed for my taste! They are riding around in a box with hardly a window!

I just want a nice, inexpensive, safe trailer for local drives to the trails, vet, etc.

I want the horses to be most comfortable. My mare has shown in the past to walk into the larger (stock or 3 horse slant) trailers without much difficulty. Last time I tried to get her in a 2 horse she flat out refused.

I hear horses, when given the choice, will turn around & face backwards. Can they do this in a stock? The only times I've ever hauled my yearling, he was loose in the trailer & did just fine.

So many questions..... for something that seems like it should be so simple!!! Confused
  • 02-14-2007 1:14 PM In reply to

If your horses are only 15 hh, you don't need a 7 ft trailer unless you just really want it. My current trailer is actually 6.5 ft and my 16 hh horse fits in it -- it's a little tight, but I put a head bumper on him and he's fine. If you just want a loose stock trailer, it shouldn't be that expensive. I only paid $2300 for my horse trailer and it's got a full dressing room and new paint/wiring/floor. Granted it's old, but the important parts are solid.

Solaris -- 16 hh Appendix Quarter Horse = MY DREAM COME TRUE!
    We Are Flying Solo
  • 02-14-2007 9:30 PM In reply to

Whatever you decide, make sure to get some trailer mats and use them. Stock trailers have wooden floors and those are slick, especially if your horse wears shoes. Couple that with a mid gate that doesn't go to the floor and you've got a recipe for disaster. If I were you, I'd never use that mid gate. Just leave it wired tightly to the side. Or better yet, remove it. If you want to, you can have another one made that has the bottom two feet or so removed so there's no chance a horse can get caught under it. That's what I hope to do ~ have one made that's just basically a pipe on a hinge.

Were you here when I lost that red roan QH mare to the trailer accident? In case you weren't, and for lurkers' benefit ~ I had Jess out on lease and they were trailering her in a stock trailer, in the front section with the mid gate closed behind her. They may have been driving too fast because when they stopped, she leaned way forward and her back hoof slipped straight out back of her and under the mid-gate. It got trapped and, when she tried to stand up, it snapped her bone completely in two like a twig. Of course she had to be put down. She's buried out back by my grandma's rose bush.

It's not the trailer that was at fault. It was the lack of traction and the wrong kind of gate. So by all means get a stock trailer if you want one. They definitely are better in our Texas heat. Just modify it for horses.

About them wanting to ride backwards ~ lots of horses do that. I just hauled Ketta to the vet today and even though I had her tied to one side, she tried to turn around and ended up riding sideways. LOLOL! If you haven't got much experience hauling, I'd advise you to get some practice before you let them loose to ride as they like to. If they move around much, especially if they move suddenly, it can upset the balance of the trailer a bit and that might scare you enough to have an accident.

Good luck! Grin
    ~ Linda ~............................~ CampCreekTexas.com ~
  • 02-14-2007 9:33 PM In reply to

I've seen horses slip and fall hanging by their halters on wood flooring! Especially going up-hill!

Traumatic experience.

Native
  • 02-14-2007 10:09 PM In reply to

Oh, it was bad! The vet was called and he put her down right there in the trailer. They brought her back here where my ex, Kenny, dug a hole and buried her. I took pictures (I always do that when something like this happens and other people are involved ~ never know if you'll need them in court) and posted them here.

When I get the time, I'll be putting a page up about it on my website (man, that site's been sorely neglected lately! and I've got to move it to a new host. *sigh*). That's one thing that made Jess' death easier to take ~ that it helped others find out about the danger. Most people just didn't have any idea.
    ~ Linda ~............................~ CampCreekTexas.com ~
  • 02-14-2007 11:05 PM In reply to

You can put plexiglass or wood in the vetilation holes if you are travveling in bad weather. But we have a stock trailer and never do. I live in Canada..the great white north lol and we don't use anything..haul just the same as normal.

Sig by the wonderful and fantabulous MadMare
  • 02-14-2007 11:23 PM In reply to

I think stock trailers are the best way to haul horses. I have hauled horses short and long distances in everything from a two horse bumper pull to an eight horse gooseneck, and I would go with a stock trailer every time. I hauled my two mares from southern California to eastern Washington (state) December 2005, in some of the nastiest weather it has ever been my misfortune to haul in. I blanketed them and they were fine, slatted sides and all.

Definitely get floor mats, and if you are wanting to haul two horses, I would recommend a 14 foot trailer, and don't bother with the center divider. That's what I hauled the horses home in. I tie the horses to the driver's side, and they will swing around so that they face backwards on a diagonal, and ride just fine that way. (Also makes it easy to unload them! Wink) I have hauled horses loose and tied, and tied is better, IMO. It gives them something to brace against, in case of sudden movement, helps them keep their balance. And two horses scrambling around in a trailer will whip any vehicle smaller than a semi around. Dangerous! The 14 foot trailer will haul two horses in luxury, and not be a tight fit for three horses. When I get my own trailer, that is what I am going to get. Smile
    Noel

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.