I have tons
Eenie, meanie, minea, mo! Pick one!
Homemade Fly spray recipes:
- 40 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- 50/50 apple cider vinegar & water
- Apple cider vinegar
- Commercial fly spray,
- Dawn dish soap.
- Two gallons of vinegar
- One good bottle of Pyrannah
- One bottle of soap will get me through the entire summer.
- Homemade fly spray: 1 Part Repel-X, 2 Parts Apple Cider Vinegar, 3 Parts Water.
- Internal fly control: 1 Cup ACV with feed.
- Internal Body Detoxifier (post laminitis/abscess episode): 3 Cups ACV with feed, 7 days.
I have used a combination of 1/3 Avon Skin So Soft and 1/3 Citronella Fly Spray (the really expensive stuff that is about $50 per gallon. not concentrate stuff) and 1/3 water.
Works well on my guys plus the Skin So Soft makes them very soft!!
In a standard one quart or one liter spray bottle, mix the following ingredients:
- 2 cups Avon Skin-So-Soft
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon oil of citronella* (*you can eliminate this or reduce the amount if it seems too strong)
Shake before every use
- 1/2 cup dawn dish soap
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Part Repel-X Concentrate
- 2 Parts Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Parts Water
- 1/3 water
- 1/3 Pine sol
- 1/3 Apple Cider vinegar
- 1 c. white wine vinegar
- 1 c. dish soap (Dawn works well)
- 2 c. water
Make your own fly spray (any of the previously mentioned formulas) and put into a 5-gallon (or so) plant/bug sprayer (the ones you pump and spray to kill bugs or mineralize plants). It cuts the over-use of fly spray by a ton! My old trainer had that, worked like a charm, is faster and easier to spray, and it lasts a lot longer.
Bounce fabric softeners repel flies and other annoying insects. Rub all over your horse before a ride, or for turnout...or attach one to halter crown or bridle and saddles before riding.
Vicks Vapour-Rub for fly repellent.