Natural Fly Spray

Last post 05-08-2007 6:21 PM by Amber. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 05-08-2007 6:21 PM

Natural Fly Spray

Hello I was wondering if anyone has and good natural fly spray recipes... I lost my old recipe and now I need a new one. Frown

Thanks
    May the horse be with you. Miracles Happen.
    /)__~
    </</

• 05-08-2007 7:44 PM In reply to

Re: Natural Fly Spray

I have tons !!!
    Eenie, meanie, minea, mo! Pick one! Grin

Homemade Fly spray recipes:

- 40 drops eucalyptus essential oil
    - 20 drops lavender essential oil
    - 10 drops peppermint essential oil
    - 10 drops lemon essential oil
    - 50/50 apple cider vinegar & water

- Apple cider vinegar
    - Commercial fly spray,
    - Dawn dish soap.

- Two gallons of vinegar
    - One good bottle of Pyrannah
    - One bottle of soap will get me through the entire summer.

- Homemade fly spray: 1 Part Repel-X, 2 Parts Apple Cider Vinegar, 3 Parts Water.
    - Internal fly control: 1 Cup ACV with feed.
    - Internal Body Detoxifier (post laminitis/abscess episode): 3 Cups ACV with feed, 7 days.

I have used a combination of 1/3 Avon Skin So Soft and 1/3 Citronella Fly Spray (the really expensive stuff that is about $50 per gallon. not concentrate stuff) and 1/3 water.
    Works well on my guys plus the Skin So Soft makes them very soft!!

In a standard one quart or one liter spray bottle, mix the following ingredients:
    - 2 cups Avon Skin-So-Soft
    - 2 cups water
    - ½ cup cider vinegar
    - ¼ teaspoon oil of citronella* (*you can eliminate this or reduce the amount if it seems too strong)
    Shake before every use

- 1/2 cup dawn dish soap
    - 1/2 cup vinegar
    - 1/2 cup water

- 1 Part Repel-X Concentrate
    - 2 Parts Apple Cider Vinegar
    - 3 Parts Water

- 1/3 water
    - 1/3 Pine sol
    - 1/3 Apple Cider vinegar

- 1 c. white wine vinegar
    - 1 c. dish soap (Dawn works well)
    - 2 c. water

Make your own fly spray (any of the previously mentioned formulas) and put into a 5-gallon (or so) plant/bug sprayer (the ones you pump and spray to kill bugs or mineralize plants). It cuts the over-use of fly spray by a ton! My old trainer had that, worked like a charm, is faster and easier to spray, and it lasts a lot longer.

Bounce fabric softeners repel flies and other annoying insects. Rub all over your horse before a ride, or for turnout...or attach one to halter crown or bridle and saddles before riding.

Vicks Vapour-Rub for fly repellent.

• 05-09-2007 7:47 AM In reply to

Wow thank you for all of your recipes!! Grin
    /)__~
    </</

• 05-09-2007 10:48 PM In reply to

Your welcome. Let us know which one worked best for you!

I mixed up a bottle of Avon Skin So Soft, Apple Cider Vinegar and water (I think was the receipe) but after bringing the bottle down to the barn, a horse knocked it the next day and broke it! Smile Never got to try it yet!

• 05-10-2007 7:41 AM In reply to

I made a bottle of the one with the essential oils yesterday havn't tried it yet though. I'll let you know how it goes. Grin
    /)__~
    </</

• 05-10-2007 11:28 AM In reply to

In the number 3 receipe, what size bottle of soap? Do you use Dawn for that one too?

"It's easier to fly if you take yourself lightly."

• 05-10-2007 1:34 PM In reply to

I've been using the vinegar, soap, and water mix for about 2 weeks now. It seems to work great, the flies drop off of my horses' legs as soon as I spray it! Thanks for the recipes--I was getting tired of spending money of ready-made and concentrate fly sprays that didn't seem to have much effect. This is cheaper and works pretty well!
  • 05-11-2007 7:24 AM In reply to

Do you have to spray your horse(s) more than once in a day?
    /)__~
    </</

• 05-12-2007 1:09 AM In reply to

For sure let me know! We haven't had bugs out yet (just some face flies) but I'd like to know which one works best on mosquitoes! Hate those blood sucking little vampires!!! Angry Angry Angry

• 05-12-2007 1:12 AM In reply to

Hmmm, not sure what sized bottle of soap you'd use. I'm guessing it would just be a standard bottle of soap. I'd think you wouldn't want too much soap, you're not looking for suds! Grin

Dawn seems to be the soap of choise although I don't know why. Must be something in the Dawn that bugs don't like.

• 05-12-2007 1:43 PM In reply to

What I've found that works awesome on mosquitoes and other biting bugs is working up to 1 Tbsp of garlic powder into their feed a day. I tried it for the first tome last year and I was shocked. It was night/day the change of the amount of bites on my horses. My Paint usually gets just eaten alive evey summer and his chest would constantly be scabby, and after the garlic, seriously not one scab. I started feeding it in the early spring. And the greatest thing about it all is how cheap you can get garlic powder in bulk! I had heard about it for years and kinda thought "yea sure" but was pleasantly suprised. I know its not exactly a "spray" but definitly worth it for biting bug control in my books.
  • 05-13-2007 4:15 PM In reply to

I'm usually not at the barn more than once a day. I'm boarding right now because we live in an apartment. It seems to work during their exercise and grooming though, which between the 2 of them sometimes lasts about 4 hours. They get fed in a feed lot setting at this barn, otherwise I'd use the supplement that I used last year. Of course, I can't think of the name of it right now, but I'll try to remember it and post it when I think of it! It worked beautifully last summer, on flies and mosquitos both! The horses didn't mind eating it either.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.