Frustrated with mare that won't get in foal......

Last post 05-24-2007 8:42 PM by jobina. 23 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 05-25-2007 8:20 PM In reply to

Re: Frustrated with mare that won't get in foal......

I know very little about breeding, but just thought I'd relate the experience that I had with my mare.
    First she was sent to the breeding farm about a week before she was due to cycle BUT she was so upset that she never came into heat.
    She was not receptive to teasing & the stallion owner was actually worried that my mare was going to do damage to her guy.
    So she came home & promptly came into heat - AI on that cycle failed AND also on the next cycle.
    The stud fee was good for the following year, and although I'd already spent way more money than expected, we tried again.
    She didn't catch on the first cycle BUT thankfully did on the next try.
    The mare was very healthy, as was the stallion.
    But even if one does everything 'by the book' it doesn't always work.
    Luckily for me (& my pocketbook) it did.

You have made comparisons to her previous pregnancy - in humans every pregnancy can be (& usually is) different. I'm sure the same can be said for horses.
  • 05-26-2007 11:16 PM In reply to

At 15 days post-breeding, it is very easy to miss seeing an embryo via ultrasound. We've always had ours checked at 18 days, and even then an excellent repro vet can occasionally miss it.

If she isn't cycling in in another few days, have the vet check her again. If there is no embryo, and still no infection, I'd get a uterine biopsy done on the mare.

If that comes back with good news and she isn't in foal the next time around, I would maybe have blood run on the mare...thyroid levels, Cushings, and many other things can affect fertility (regardless of past history).

Just a few other things to consider.
  • 05-28-2007 1:00 PM In reply to

I would preg check her again in afew days..vets are only human and Id want to give the mare to benifit of the doubt.

If shes still not in, and youve checked for infections and the semen quality..get her hormone levels checked..She may need to be put on Regumate or a safer, less costly alternative, a Progesterone compound.

• 05-28-2007 5:35 PM In reply to

I have to throw my .02 in here. About three months ago, I bought a mare. Little did I know, she was about 7 months pregnant at the time I bought her. I called the previous owner & he was dumbfounded that she was bred. The man told me he had tried to breed her with 6 different studs over the course of 4 years and she had never 'caught'. He had given up and just put her out to pasture - where, apparently one of three different studs was able to "preform the feat" of successfully breeding this mare. The moral of the story: sometimes things work, sometimes they don't. Wink In all seriousness - I hope you find some good luck & things work out as you want them to.
    Looking for an excuse to dust off my barn boots...

www.skinnyhorse.com
  • 05-28-2007 10:04 PM In reply to

Just and update: Jrishha was checked again today at 19 days. She still has old CL on right ovary, left ovary is shrinking, no follicle activity. She thinks she is pregnant, but we still can't find anything. The vet thinks she could have been preg. early on and absorbed it once the hormones kicked in so she has a false pregnancy. Just to be safe, he is checking her again next week and if still nothing, we are going to start bringing her back into heat. He wants to check again just because he has had a mare this year show nothing at 14 and 18 days and after 21 days she had a pregnancy the size of a 14 day preg. So here's to still hoping Smile I'll find out more next week.

Jrishha- 15 year old Arabian Mare
  • 05-29-2007 12:17 PM In reply to

Sorry about your breeding woes! What a PITA. Maybe she is sterile?
  • 06-13-2007 11:21 AM In reply to

Would love to hear an update on if she ever showed in foal.
  • 06-14-2007 1:50 PM In reply to

My mare was horrible to get in & keep a foal. Since I've put her on Regu-mate for 120 days from insemination she's been wonderful with no complications. Ask your vet of course but I swear by it. Valley Vet has it for a fairly reasonable price.
    ]
  • 06-14-2007 7:07 PM In reply to

Jrishha was rebred last Thursday. On the Monday the vet did an infusion on her, then I gave her oxytocin later that night. Bred her Thurs. and Friday the vet did another infusion and performed a caslicks procedure on her. Now I have the wait until the 22 for another ultrasound. She had just ovulated on her own when we bred her and her uterus was nice and soft, so hopefully all goes well. With the caslicks, no contaminates get into her uterus via, feces, windsucking, and nothing can get out, so hopefully she doesn't abort. She'll stay sewn up until just before she foals(as long as she checks pregnant) We performed this procedure because she has a low pelvis and the vet was thinking that she is windsucking and that is contaminating the uterus. Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Jrishha- 15 year old Arabian Mare

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.