Mysterious swollen head

Last post 04-29-2006 3:42 AM by 4X4. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 04-29-2006 3:42 AM

Mysterious swollen head

Hi
    I have a 10 yr old Thoroughbred gelding who may have to be put down next week. Ill give you the low down,

Day 1 I noticed a very very slight raised area on his forehead, and asked the people at agist to keep an eye on it, 2 days later he was swollen up from eye to eye and eyes are running. vet is called suspects fracture and gives penicilon and beaut(an antiinflamatory painkiller)(there is no mark on skin so i am skeptical of fracture)

swelling goes down and when i see him on day 12 he has two small hard bumps between eyes on forehead, not painful, eyes still running. i leave

day 17/18 now he swells under right eye, vet called prescribes antibiotics and more beaut, swelling goes down but not completely away, eyes running a little

day 27 i arrive and the end of his cheekbone he has started to swell. i am told it was as not like that this morning, by end of day is quite large. Speak to vet he says he is confused by symptoms and suggests we put him on beaut for a few weeks just to see if it improves over time by itself. swelling goes down

day 40 His head is very deformed looking but all the bumps are hard and not painful. I think well finally he is going to get better, itll just take time to fully go down. i leave day 44

day 50 he has his last beaut, but his head has started to swell up again this time in all the previous places
    day 51 he has a yellow gunky discharge from right nostril, no smell. i decide to take him to big horse vet in the city.

Day 55 bring him to perth, vet suspects sinus. Camera up the nose shows very little abnormalities, no problems with teeth, xrays show that where he has been swollen there is now some bony growth and some other stuff that was hard for me to undrstand the lingo

Day 56 they take a bone biopsy it has been sent to lab, likely results are considered to be either a bone cancer (will need to be put down eventually)or infection of the bone (treatment expensie and no guarentees, ie likely to be put down)

So i am waiting for the results

Has anybody had an experience with something similar?
    what was the outcome?
    Any ideas as to what the cause may be?
    would appreciate any input
    Thanks Holly

Horse has been happy throughout (was a little lathargic on Day 1) and eating well.
  • 04-29-2006 3:46 AM In reply to

Re: Mysterious swollen head

Oh my. That's not good. Sorry I have no experience with this. Wish you the best.
    Barefoot and Loving it!

http://www.barefoothooves.net

• 04-29-2006 7:45 AM In reply to

Hello.

Your story made me instantly think of an aritcle I read in the March 06 issue of Equus. It's on page 37 of the magazine. It deals with a womans horse who has a rare, aggressive cancer. The story sounds almost identical to yours. If you don't have access to it, let me know and I'll type it out and send it to you.

Please check out our clubs newest forum devoted strictly to the sport of dressage. The more members the merrier!
    www.forum.northatlanticdressage.com
  • 04-29-2006 10:02 AM In reply to

So sorry.
    This does not sound real good.
  • 04-29-2006 11:08 AM In reply to

Quote:

It deals with a womans horse who has a rare, aggressive cancer.

I was thinking the Big C as I was reading.

You are in my thoughts and prayers for a positive outcome.
  • 04-29-2006 9:21 PM In reply to

I am so sorry! Frown

Thanks Pride-in-Paints!

IF IT IS BORKEN, USE DUCK TAPE!

"I brake for......OH CRAP NO BRAKES!!!"
    "Can I pay my VISA with my Mastercard?"
    "LIFETIME GUARANTEE"-Coffin Ad
  • 05-04-2006 8:22 AM In reply to

Ok, today we got the results back and they are inclusive!!! good and bad because yay probably not cancer but bad because we still dont know. could be bone infection which will be very expensive to operate so any way he is going on a heavy duty course of anti biotics and we will just have to see what happens, thanks for your thoughts. to the person who told me about the article, i dont know how to get a hold of it so if you could send it would be good.
    thank you will keep you updated
    Holly and Sirs
  • 05-04-2006 12:26 PM In reply to

Good luck!
  • 05-04-2006 2:16 PM In reply to

Got my fingers crossed for you. Keep us updated.

Please check out our clubs newest forum devoted strictly to the sport of dressage. The more members the merrier!
    www.forum.northatlanticdressage.com

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.