Feed for corn and soy allergic horse

Last post 11-17-2008 6:18 AM by findlaycowgirl2012. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 08-17-2007 2:16 PM

Feed for corn and soy allergic horse

Could anyone recommend a grain for my 16 yr old Thoroghbred gelding who has recently been diagnosed with allergies to corn and soy? We have to give him daily doses of Trihist to control his hives until we find a feed replacement. He is also a hard keeper in need of added weight. He currently gets Blue Seal Hunter and Charger,( approx. 8 quarts). Plus about 3/4 bale (toss size) of locally grown hay, which I believe is mainly grass. We have added Weight Builder to his diet, but I belive this may have a corn ingredient so I may discontinue this product.
  • 08-17-2007 4:03 PM In reply to

Re: Feed for corn and soy allergic horse

What about beet pulp, or is he allergic to that also? Beet pulp, preferrably soaked, is supposed to be great for putting on weight (holding weight). Good old plain oats, plenty of calories and usually safe to feed. Alfalfa hay/pellets or cubes for added calcium and protein. BOSS and Flax both are high fat, so could possibly help at the right amount (I have easy keepers, so mine don't get much of either, so I don't know the upper safe limit).
    I know of corn-free products, but they typically use soy, so those are out of the question.
    You may need to find a professional equine nutritionist to help you with this one.
    good luck
  • 08-17-2007 4:10 PM In reply to

Not familiar with the feed you mentioned.
    Have you tried beet pulp? It's cost effective, easy for them to eat. Alfalfa pellets or cubes would help with the weight and they are high in protein. For grain what about plain oats?
    Barefoot and Loving it!

http://www.barefoothooves.net

• 08-17-2007 8:47 PM In reply to

Oats and beet pulp are both great options for horses with soy and corn allergies. Since soy is so high in protein, you'll need a protein replacement. Alfalfa pellets or cubes are a good option, and oats have a fair amount of protein, but should probably be crimped or rolled for an older fellow to digest easily. Corn is high in carbohydrates (energy), so you also need an energy replacement. You could use some fat, like an oil without corn or soy in it, oats, beet pulp, or molasses. Another idea is to talk to your local feed dealer and see what they have that doesn't have corn or soy products in them. They might not have much of a selection. You can also contact Purina, or another name brand horse feed manufacturer and ask to speak to a horse nutrition consultant. Good luck!
  • 08-17-2007 9:33 PM In reply to

Since we're on this subject, I had a quick question about oats.

Steam Rolled, or steam crimped? Crimped has the hulls and is the most commonly used, but the horse doesn't digest the hulls. The steam rolled seem rather dusty though.
  • 08-19-2007 1:25 PM In reply to

Steam rolled oats are the easiest for a horse to digest and look a bit like rolled oats you'd use for breakfast oatmeal for yourself. They are very flat and absorb liquid well for mashes. Crimped oats (may just be mechanically crimped or steam applied during crimping), look a little smooshed or pinched but are not quite as fine as rolled oats. Steam crimped oats have steam applied during processing and are not _that_ different from steam rolled oats. Mechanically crimped oats have just had the hulls cracked without the application of steam heat. Both processing methods increase digestibility of the oats and are good to use if your horse needs to gain weight, is being worked very hard, or has difficulty chewing or digesting whole oats. Otherwise I use whole oats that have been cleaned of dust (hulls kept in tact, though).
  • 11-17-2008 2:22 AM In reply to

Genesis brand horse feed, which has produced a clearly visible, all around physical improvement in my own two horses and more than a dozen others who live at the farms of my nearest two neighbors, is a USDA Certified ORGANIC feed that, additionally is certified as follows:
    • No Corn or corn by products   
    • No Soy or soy by products   
    • No Animal by products   
    • We are  GMO / chemical pesticide free   
    • No molasses
    This feed is produced in Canada and only recently has become available in the U.S.    My neighbors had gotten together and requested that the owner of our most patronized, local feed dealership contact the canadian producer and arrange to stock it for us.   Any other organic feeds that I know of, such as the Nature's Best brand, may cost less but are loaded with both soy and corn, albeit ORGANIC soy and corn (and, sometimes molasses).

More info about GENESIS organic horse feed is at http://www.organic-horse-feed.com/index.htm

-john brian

And, PS:   Our horses come running for .. and appear to absolutely LOVE eating this feed!
    Filed under:
  • 11-17-2008 6:18 AM In reply to

My best friend's AQHA gelding has a corn allergey and this is how she is feeding him:

2 times a day:
    1 lb Crimped Oats
    1 lb (dry weight) Soaked Beet Pulp
    Grand Meadows Grand Complete (1 time a day)
    Flax Seed (1 time a day)

He eats about 15-20 lbs 50/50 Alfalfa Timothy hay a day

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.