Can you worm when feeding

Last post 05-21-2006 10:08 PM by 921048. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 05-21-2006 10:08 PM

Can you worm when feeding

Smile Confused Can anyone settle an argument with a riding friend? I said you should do your worming between meals at about mid way in the day. That way the anthelmic has a chance to work on the worms with out a lot of digestion going on. ( We feed morning and early evening, no grass pasture, as it is the desert) He says it should be with a meal. It probably doesn't matter, as the manufacturer does not warn about any of this. I do a rotation of Ivermectin, and a combo type paste. Confused
    Both my animals are pretty good about the paste, and don't spit it out.

Thanks in advance.... Steve
  • 05-21-2006 10:17 PM In reply to

Re: Can you worm when feeding

I worm when I bring the horse in, in the morning and it has nothing in its mouth.
  • 05-21-2006 10:53 PM In reply to

I squirt the paste wormer onto Ruggie's grain.

I really don't see how it would matter if the horse is kept on a good schedule and isn't completely overloaded with worms. The only thing I might be able to see on your friend's side is that a meal would help protect the stomach somewhat and also allow the chemical to be digested slower, which is probably better (think about taking shots on an empty stomach vs. a full stomach) since it would be released into the bloodstream gradually instead of all at once. BUT paste wormers aren't 'severe' enough to do any damage on an empty stomach, so the point is moot.

As long as the horse is kept on a good schedule and not completely overloaded with worms I can't see how it would make a difference.
  • 05-21-2006 11:10 PM In reply to

I have my horses on Strongid C2x, which is a pelleted daily wormer that is used as a top dressing. I also have them all enrolled in PreventiCare, so my vet worms them with EquiMax every six months and I have to get the Strongid from her. Obviously the Strongid is fed with food, the paste wormer since it's given by vet is usually administered in the middle of the day, but my horses are always eating SOMETHING, so they'll have hay and I always feed an apple or carrots after the vet or farrier is done. My vet has never said anything about it.

When I used to paste worm I'd always give it to them in the middle of their meal, but when their mouth was empty (otherwise the paste can clump onto the food and the horse can spit it out).

laissez faire, laissez aller, laissez passer, et laissez les bon temps roulez toute la nuit!
    www.phyxiusphotos.com Christina Dale Equine Photography
  • 05-21-2006 11:37 PM In reply to

It's easiest to add the wormer to my husband's horse's feed, so for years I've mixed it in with molasses and he scarfs it all down.

In recent years, they've come out with a vanilla scented liquid dose of pyrantel pamoate (which Bud also loves) and a nugget version of ivermectin both designed to be put on their feed.

The one advantage of your suggested method, would be to avoid a wad of hay or grass in their mouth with which they could more easily spit out the paste wormer. Otherwise, I don't believe it really matters when they get their wormer.

Mare on a mission.
  • 05-21-2006 11:48 PM In reply to

You can worm when feeding very well, a horses stomach should never be empty and it should never not be digesting something in its system. Many people worm with liquid Ivermictin top dressed on grain. It works very well.

Quality doesn't cost it pays.
  • 05-22-2006 6:22 AM In reply to

Wink Thanks everyone, I kind of figured it was not that important to give with fod, I just wanted to be sure that the anthelmic had a chance to work on any parasites.
    Grin

Steve
  • 05-22-2006 10:07 AM In reply to

I worm my horses EARLY in the morning. BEFORE any grain! If you have a paste wormer and you worm with your grain, then the wormer is going to stick to the grain and it does not give it a chance to work. Because the horse will have already digested the grain w/the wormer on it.
  • 05-22-2006 10:49 AM In reply to

How does your horse digest grain without the wormer also? Do you take fecal samples to prove the wormer doesn't work?

• 05-22-2006 11:57 AM In reply to

Ok, sorry but this is a huge pet peeve of mine... it is DEwormer... you aren't putting worms into your horse right? LOL I know most people say "worm" amd "wormer" but its just one of my pet peeves, since you are actually DEworming. LOL Anyway...

When we deworm, we usually leave the horses in for 24 hrs so that no worms are deposited onto the fields if there are any in the horse. So usually we give it in the AM then turnout the next morning after feeding. It really is a personal preference as to when and where and how you deworm... So both you and your friend are right LOL Smile
  • 05-22-2006 12:03 PM In reply to

I've heard others say its " dewormer " but I buy all my worming products from Valley Vet and havbe never seen the word " dewormer " in their catolgs yet. They sell " wormer "

• 05-23-2006 4:22 PM In reply to

That is just not true.

First of all, digestion happens on a cellular level. So if a horse is going to digest something(meaning absorbing the particles into his bloodstream from the GI tract), it will digest it. If a horse cannot digest something, it won't. It doesn't matter if that 'something' is mixed to or stuck on another food when it's deposited in the stomach - it is all broken down into molecules and all these molecules have an equal chance of being absorbed if they can be absorbed.

Secondly, the dewormer IS absorbed into the bloodstream of the horse. It doesn't just pass through the horse without anything happening to it - the chemicals are absorbed by the horse. This is why you can inject a horse IM with ivermectin, and also why they are now making dewormers designed specifically to be fed along with grain.
  • 05-23-2006 10:59 PM In reply to

hello all new here.

You will find that certain wormers need to be given a specific was and unfortunately we dont get all this information very easily from the product suppliers.

I have done some looking into it and have found that ivermectin or abamectin based can be given on and empty stomach but if they contain a second ingredient praziquantal or any boticide they must be given after meal on a full stomach.

Moxidectin or any long lasting wormer ie the 14-16 week one must be used with extreme caution and only given to the kilo and never to foals, underweight or older horses as this type is stored in the muscles over that period of time and slow released.

good luck
    Liesl
    Shai Arabians
    Australia
  • 05-24-2006 12:28 AM In reply to

"I have done some looking into it and have found that ivermectin or abamectin based can be given on and empty stomach but if they contain a second ingredient praziquantal or any boticide they must be given after meal on a full stomach."

Thanks for that wonderful information, I did not know that!
  • 05-24-2006 5:39 AM In reply to

my pleasure mate

just keep asking and looking guys you will find it all eventually and if we live to 100 we shall still learn something new everyday.

Liesl

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.