Horse who doesn't shed out.

Last post 06-11-2006 6:01 PM by Sansena. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 06-11-2006 6:01 PM

Horse who doesn't shed out.

I remember reading several times about using baby oil, I think, to get a horse to shed out. The idea was to put baby oil on the horse for 24 hours and then bathe him. Has anyone actually done this? Does it work?
  • 06-11-2006 6:32 PM In reply to

Re: Horse who doesn't shed out.

I've never tried it, but horses who don't shed should be checked for Cushings disease.

• 06-11-2006 6:54 PM In reply to

I have never heard of doing such.

I agree with the other poster, you might want to consider checking for cushings.

Other than that brush a lot. If you can keep them under lights so you can get optimal "daylight" (horses shed based on hours of light per day). Worming with strongid one rotation supposedly helps too.
  • 06-11-2006 6:56 PM In reply to

I've heard of people doing something like that, using mayonaise.

But considering the time of year, I would be suspicious of Cushings also (I have a Cushnoid horse).

(edited for typos!)
  • 06-11-2006 7:38 PM In reply to

I read it in a magazine (equus, HI...???). It helps speed up a shedding coat, as it allows the loose shedding hair to slip out of the follicles.

However, for a horse that isn't shedding, I would suspect Cushings.

Jessi
    MareStare cam!
    www.marestare.com/cheyaut.php

www.CheyAutRanch.com

• 06-11-2006 10:42 PM In reply to

Never heard of the baby oil trick. When mine were shedding I just brushed a whole lot. My new mini has long hair on his belly still but he is shedding out from being brushed.
    What type of horse is it?
    Kind of off topic but I read a story about a girl who was given a horse by her uncle that had had to take in a trade. The horse had really long matted hair It turned out to be a Bashik Curly Smirk
    http://www.shelbysworld.net/photo_1.html
    I ride high in the saddle, always saddle my own horse
    still I'm every inch a lady from the outside to the core
    I take the trail less traveled `cause I know where it leads
    I live my life by the cowgirl creed

As for me and my horse, we will ride for the Lord!
  • 06-11-2006 11:11 PM In reply to

It's not Chushings. He just has a thick, though short, coat. I've read about the oil trick several places. I don't remember if it was baby oil or mineral oil. They actually said to be careful to not do it too early in the spring, as you might end up with a horse with no hair at all. I just wondered if someone had actually tried it.
  • 06-13-2006 4:17 AM In reply to

It was mineral oil. Haven't tried it though, but am curious to results! Smile

Jessi
    MareStare cam!
    www.marestare.com/cheyaut.php

www.CheyAutRanch.com

• 06-17-2006 3:05 AM In reply to

I have a similar problem with my "ancient" mare...it could be Cushings, but after even reading the books and other vague information, I'm still not entirely certain what that entails. Having a Cushoid, will you enlighten us?

My old mare will shed in spots, but some/most of the hair will hang tough until it's dang near time to start growing it again for the coming winter (Wisconsin winters...never a nice thing!) Ooo

My other 15-year old mare is just the opposite...always looks fat & sassy, and never gets grain of any sort since all she has to do is LOOK at it to put on weight. The old one gets Senior feed + Weight Builder, and all the hay she can eat, but it's not helping. Confused

Picture a very hung-over Phyllis Diller and the very fat Kirstie Alley in the same pasture....well, you get the idea!! Smile
    Thanks for listening, and all comments welcome!
    Karen
  • 06-17-2006 3:09 AM In reply to

Oh, the "ancient" one has been guess-timated at 25+, but by now has to be pushing 30-35.
  • 06-18-2006 4:25 AM In reply to

Just curious- Did you have him tested for Cushing's. I'd suggest a thorough work up to rule out any medical issues. Upon finding none, might I suggest a lovely pair of clippers. I like a wide blade, number 10, a paper jumpsuit and a mask. A brief amount of mess - but instant results and no one smells like a nursery. Ooo
  • 06-18-2006 8:28 AM In reply to

Forget the baby oil or mayonnaise. If your horse is clean, really clean from a recent bath and regular grooming, and still won't shed, you have a cushnoid horse. Cushings doesn't effect ONLY older horses... have your vet pull a fasting blood test, HCTH? I think it's called... You don't want to mess around with cushings.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.