Abscess coming out Cornet Band, what to do?

Last post 09-02-2008 1:12 PM by thatwindow. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 06-28-2006 10:19 AM

Abscess coming out Cornet Band, what to do?

I found my pony has a foot abcess, and when the farrier was out he popped it some, but it was too far up for him to pop completely so he told me that it will come out the cornet band. What can I do for her? Continue soaking her with warm water and epsom salt? Should I keep her stalled or turn her out? Any advice would be great! Thanks!

~Kayla
  • 06-28-2006 11:14 AM In reply to

Re: Abscess coming out Cornet Band, what to do?

I am no expert and I am sure others will jump on here soon but I want to say you want her to be able to move as long as the area she is in is dry and clean. It will help with the bloodflow to the area and help it drain and stuff if she can move, I would continue to soak it, calling your vet they should be able to give you some idea of what you can do with it.
  • 06-28-2006 12:05 PM In reply to

I've had a couple horses get abscesses and have done exactly what "comehomesoon" suggested.

The main reason for getting the vet out is to be sure everything came out of the abscess and the vet can give you antibiotics to help fight any infection that might creep into the abscess from the outside Smile
  • 06-28-2006 12:09 PM In reply to

I have called the vet and he said if she does not get better in a couple days to call him, so we shall wait and see. The only turn out I have is in the pasture and it's kinda muddy in some areas and my arena is getting redone so it's missing half a side so I cant stick her in there. I feel so bad for her.
  • 06-28-2006 12:21 PM In reply to

My boy has popped one in the last week without me even knowing he had an abcess. It popped at the coronary band. I scrub the area daily and apply corona to it. It's healing nicely and no signs of infection. He isn't even sore or at least he is not responding as though he is sore.

If flys and poopy mud were not an issue he would probably heal fine on his own, but the corona protects it from the bugs and has antibacterial ingredients as well. He had one this past winter almost in the same place and I just watched it. It healed on it's own.

Forgot to mention that I leave him turned out in his pasture.

Thank You Pride-in-Paints!!
  • 06-28-2006 1:36 PM In reply to

I have a horse with one right now, so don't feel bad.

Marianne
  • 06-28-2006 1:37 PM In reply to

i also have one but we are in the fixing stage with shoes it xhipped off about 1/6 of his hoof
    Without my horse, im just human. Without me, my horse is just an animal. But when you put us together we become an unstoppable team!

Photobucket

Crying the Blues, 23 year old National Show horse (Pictured above)
    R Impulsive Invite, 6 year old Appaloosa

HOTM Jan 2010
    Luvs Fantacy, 29 year old National Show Horse (Rest in Peace, December 4, 2009)
  • 06-29-2006 12:51 AM In reply to

If she is showing discomfort be sure and continue soaking. If you wish to protect the sole (hole?) from turn out dirt/mud just make her a duct tape boot. You can put a poltice in with and leave it on for 24 hours. I would definately turn out if at all possible. Movement helps the abcess to run it's course.
  • 09-02-2008 7:35 AM In reply to

• savo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-02-2008
    • carolinas
    • Foal

my horse savvy has an abscess wich isnt coming out because its too deep, but the vt and farreir told me to put some icthomal on top of the hoof to draw out an infection and soft it up so te abscess can break through. now savvy isnt gettin better because her abscess is severe, but yours seems as if most of has already come up which is good. so buy some icthamal is a black sticky tar like substance thats pretty strnog at your local tractor suply or horse place. it does wonders and easy to apply, WITH GLOVES. DONT LET THIS SUTFF GET ON YOU, VERY NASTY.

good luck<3

-lauren

"..the air of heaven is that which blows between a horses ears."
    iloveyousavvy.
    Filed under:
  • 09-02-2008 11:39 AM In reply to

Sorry your pony is sore.  If you have a medicine boot (like a Davis boot) those are wonderful for abscesses, or even an Ol Mac is good for helping to keep it clean if it's in the sole or below the coronary band, but sounds like yours is at the coronary band so really just soaking and keeping it clean, other than some antibiotics, are all you can do.  I don't know, maybe a bell boot might help protect it?  Since you said you can't stall her.  I had one where my horse stepped on a huge mesquite thorn, it got embedded in the sole, the sole grew over it, and the thorn finally came out through the front of his hoof wall.  what a mess.

• 09-02-2008 1:12 PM In reply to

My  gelding just popped one about a month ago. He was really lame for a couple weeks and then one day it was over and he was fine. Turned out that it came out the coranet band and healed up just fine. My other horse had one about 6 months ago that did the same thing. The split grew down his hoof and when it got about 3/4 of the way down his hoof just fell apart. The whole bottom 1/3 of his foot just splayed out and crumbled. I had to put shoes on him to keep it from chipping away completely. But its fine now and his foot is growing out great. If her lameness is gone then just keep it clean andit should go away.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.