How to remove T-Posts?

Last post 03-25-2008 9:01 AM by gypsy fly. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 03-22-2008 8:19 PM

How to remove T-Posts?

I have a bunch that need to be removed/ relocated on my property, my thought was to borrow the friends tractor wrap a chain around them and pull up?  Any other eaiser ideas?  Any that wont take as much work (yeah right!) ! Thanks in advance!

Michelle

• 03-22-2008 11:17 PM In reply to

Re: How to remove T-Posts?

A tractor would be nice.  How much time will it take to drive over each T-post, set your chain then work the tractor?  It would probably be faster to walk over each T-post to wigggle, jiggle and pull.  Or, you can do it like my wife does, "Honey do!"

Oops that blew up ... go figure!!
  • 03-22-2008 11:55 PM In reply to

If only I had a honey to do! LOL!  Sounds like I will be borrowing the tractor!  Gives me a good time to clean up the back of the barn as well!

Yuck! I hate spring cleaning!

• 03-23-2008 12:21 AM In reply to

The jiggling, wiggling and shaking method is the most strenuous and time consuming but also the most productive way to remove posts you hope to use again. Pulling them out with a tractor usually results in bending most of them. And there's no more fun to be had on the farm than trying to re-set used & bent T posts. Plus, yanking them out at an angle with a chain will also create a hole to be filled back in. And wear protective head gear if you use the chain method. They can and DO slip off the posts and fly straight back at you if there's enough tension on the chain when it happens. (Thank you, Sir Isaac Newton). If your tractor has a bucket lift, you can use the chain method to pull the posts straight up, though. ~FH

• 03-23-2008 2:21 AM In reply to

Love your siggy, and I do believe it has a bucket, I hope!  There are just way to many to do the jiggle wiggle thing by myself, and I also have a couple of wood ones to remove... I sure hope they aren't cemented into place! That will not be fun!

Thanks FH!

• 03-23-2008 3:28 PM In reply to

My first reaction to your title was GOOD LUCK!  Ack, I hate pulling T-posts, they are about impossible to get out of the ground without waging war on them.  I would not try to pull them out from the side with a truck or tractor, it just makes a huge hole and very little progress -- we tried even using a winch and ended up just dragging the rear of the truck closer to the post!!  :-o  Lifting up with a bucket would be my best suggestion, but the wiggle method is tried and true if the bucket doesn't work.  

Solaris -- 16 hh Appendix Quarter Horse = MY DREAM COME TRUE!
    We Are Flying Solo
  • 03-23-2008 4:02 PM In reply to

How about pulling the posts after a good rain (or watering the ground to soften it)? 

I could also imagine (since we don't have a tractor) rigging a thick "slapping" pole to the bucket, aiming at the tops of the T-posts and driving one way through them to wiggle to one side.  Lowering the bucket a tad, then driving through them again the other way.  I'd imagine driving slow would be good.  A glancing blow, enough to just move the T-posts 6 inches to either side, would be my choice.

To pull straight up on a post using the bucket, which arcs, one would have to drive forward while lifting to compensate for the angular displacement.

• 03-23-2008 4:41 PM In reply to

Will be thinking of that.  This should be an intresting thing. Not really looking forward to it, but I need to create a dry lot for my overweight mare. 

• 03-23-2008 4:49 PM In reply to

I went to google patent search and entered "T post" http://www.google.com/patents?id=PrgqAAAAEBAJ&dq=T+post,  There's a lot of T Post pullers/estractors that have received patents. 

I like the one that's about the size of a shoe box that hooks on and jacks up the post with foot action.

• 03-23-2008 5:58 PM In reply to

The easiet way to pull a metal t-post is with a puller:

http://www.enasco.com/Search?catalog=farmandranch&q=t+post+puller

I bought mine at the local co-op; most farm supply stores will have them. Mine was $30 or so - one of the most indespensible (sp) tools I have. I am 42, with fibromyalgia, and it is a breeze for me to pull as many posts as I need to, takes no diesel, and stores in my tack room. Really worth the investment. And better than the little plate that you use with a handy-man jack (otherwise known as a "jawbreaker")!

Noel
  • 03-23-2008 7:11 PM In reply to

If you can borrow the tractor and chain, also get yourself a car wheel without the tire on itIndifferent

A wheel off a car is the perfect size, nothing bigger or smaller.

1.  Hook chain to tractor.

2.  Wrap chain one complete turn around car wheel.

3.  Save enough chain from wrapping around car wheel to wrap around T-post at the ground and hook the chain to itself.

3.1 Edited to say that the car wheel needs to be butt up against the t-post -- the rolling leverage is the trick to all thisWink

4.  You're ready to pull the t-post out.

5. Go easy on the gas pedal and I promise you the t-post will pull out of the ground and literally roll right over top of the car wheel with no damage to the T-post.

It's quicker and easier if there are two people.  One to drive, and one to hook, but the "hooker" Stick out tongue needs to back away from the chain just in case it does pop loose before the t-post is pulled out.

We have pulled a bunch of t-posts out that way --- works slicker n snot, so it doesStick out tongue

Good luckYesBeer

• 03-24-2008 7:40 PM In reply to

gypsy fly:

To pull straight up on a post using the bucket, which arcs, one would have to drive forward while lifting to compensate for the angular displacement.

1. Attach chain to drape over top of bucket.

2. Tilt bucket down, directly over post.

3. Wrap chain around post.

4. Tilt up and raise bucket simultaneously. Chain pulls post straight up.

Most T posts are only in the ground about 24". ~FH

• 03-24-2008 9:01 PM In reply to

we have this tool that my husband used with the tractor and a chain to pull our t-posts.  it's rectangular with holes on either side made of metal.  I just found it online,  we've used it like shown in the picture with the jack, but the best way is with the tractor and a chain, we just pull the chain through the part that the jack is on, attach it to the bucket and lift up, they've always come straight up 

http://www.gemplers.com/product/M1195/Metal-T-Post-Puller

• 03-25-2008 9:01 AM In reply to

The lever tool that kara posted was for about $30.  The metal tool that needs a jack (or tractor) is $17.  I suppose the uprooting of the T-post could cause the jack to flip back, hence kara's term "jawbreaker".  I'm going to vote for the $30 lever tool.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.