How long does it take for a mare's udder to dry up after weaning?

Last post 07-15-2006 2:18 PM by JanJhorses. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 07-15-2006 2:18 PM

How long does it take for a mare's udder to dry up after weaning?

I am currently going through the weaning process with my first mare and foal. Can someone tell me how long it will take for the mare's udder to dry up? Also, is there anything special I should be doing for the mare to make the drying up process easier on her? Should I be watching for signs of mastitis? Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks schoolhorserider!

Get Spotted on an Appaloosa!
  • 07-15-2006 5:28 PM In reply to

Re: How long does it take for a mare's udder to dry up after weaning?

Wow, it seem like just a few days ago you posted pics of that brand new baby! Time flies... Anyway yes I'd watch for signs of mastitis. At first the udder will be really full because she'll produce milk until nobody's taking it anymroe. That fullness will tell her body to shut down production and eventually the udder will go down. (So don't milk her out!) Watch for heat and tenderness (if she'll let you touch it), though at first when it's so full it may well be tender anyway! Never hurts to monitor a horse's temperature, as it can be a good early indicator of infection. I don't know exactly how long it takes for the udder to dry up completely, varies a bit from mare to mare. Our riding mares didn't have any noticeable udder within a few weeks. But one Percheron mare (the Dairy Bar!) had some form of "milk" all through the winter after her second foal was weaned in August! It was a pain because we bred her back and I was trying to figure out when "new" milk came in. She would have made a great cow...

Thank you MadMare!!!

"So now boss man, here's my 2 weeks,
    I'll make it short and sweet!" --Sugarland
  • 07-15-2006 8:45 PM In reply to

I know. He's growing up so fast it is astounding to me. It does seem like just yesterday that I was making arrangements for Niki (the mare) and Friday (the colt) to be shipped up here from Missouri. And now Friday's being weaned. Wow! Where did the time go?.

I'd post pics of the pair of them but I haven't figured out how to do that yet since I don't have a digital camera. I would be posting pics from a CD instead and, like I just said, haven't figured that out yet.

Thanks for the advice. Smile

Thanks schoolhorserider!

Get Spotted on an Appaloosa!
  • 07-16-2006 10:12 AM In reply to

The only clients I had that had a mastitis problem were milking the mare.
    Found out the mare got mastisis every year.... Frown
    I flat out told them I never milked a mare and I have never had a problem. They stopped and have not had a problem after (been 10 year)
    So dont touch and dont worry about it. Smile
    Once when I wean the mares do not go back with the weanlings. I feed weanlings and yearling different then the mares.
    I have seen mares (even barren ones) start to produce milk when ever they are sucked on. So at any time is the young one tries to suck and the mare allows it milk can be produced.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.