hard bump on the corner of my horse's mouth

Last post 08-29-2008 9:45 PM by bassclef54. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 08-23-2008 9:55 PM

hard bump on the corner of my horse's mouth

Today I saw a hard bump on the corner of my horse's mouth.  I have not seen him or ridden him in 2 days.  The bump is about 1 inch large.  It does not feel hot and it does not seem to hurt the horse either.  I poked my finger all around the inside of his mouth.  I don't see anything or feel anything on the inside of his mouth.  Everything looks and feels normal. 

Has anyone seen something like this before.  It is kind of like as abscess or cyst.  It is not actually on his lips, but in the corner of the outside of the mouth?

I used a small sponge with hot water and held it on the bump for awhile.  I cleaned it good with an alcohol swab and then applied some Neosporin on it. 

Do you have any suggestions on what may have caused this?  Do you think something bit or stung him in the pasture when he was eating grass?

Thank you for your help.

• 08-24-2008 9:17 PM In reply to

Re: hard bump on the corner of my horse's mouth

Is your bit pinching him?

photo by FallingForNova
    RIP my beautiful girl -- April 4 2002 - August 21, 2012
    http://squeaksmom-lifeinthezoo.blogspot.com/
  • 08-29-2008 7:47 PM In reply to

UPDATE:   The bump turned out to be a tumor.  He had surgery today to cut it out.  The stitches should be out in 10 days and he will be good and new.

FYI

• 08-29-2008 9:45 PM In reply to

Wow, good for you for having it looked at and dealt with right away!  I hope your horse heals quickly and fully!

Mary

Good riding,
    Mary

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.