Horse stretched out while standing, what could that mean

Last post 12-11-2008 11:56 AM by Heather. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 12-03-2008 11:22 PM

Horse stretched out while standing, what could that mean

One of Briahna's barn buddies has taken to stretching out when he's standing, like he's going to urinate.  He isn't though, just standing like that.  He's quite up there in age, has Cushing's, some leg issues that have taken him out of active riding, just stable patrol for exercise.  I thought I read somewhere that position meant something, just can't find it.  Can anyone help?

Bev and Briahna

...and God took a handful of southerly wind, blew his breath over it and created the horse...

~ Bedouin Legend
    Filed under:
  • 12-03-2008 11:36 PM In reply to

Re: Horse stretched out while standing, what could that mean

It can be a sign of mild colic.  Probably not the only thing though, so don't panic.

photo by FallingForNova
    RIP my beautiful girl -- April 4 2002 - August 21, 2012
    http://squeaksmom-lifeinthezoo.blogspot.com/
  • 12-04-2008 4:43 AM In reply to

I think horses who have foundered stand stretched out.

• 12-04-2008 6:20 AM In reply to

Could be ulcers, mild colic, back issuse, the list can go on and on. Keep an eye on him and if he gets worse, give the vet a call.

If you don't want to stand behind our soldiers who are in danger zones, please stand in front of one.

If you really open your ears and eyes, you will see that there is alot of great advice given on here. You just have to see it and hear it without closing off your mind.

VanHalen 26 yr QH Stallion R.I.P. 4/11/82 - 5/8/08 24 wonderful years together.
    Scout 25-28 yr Paint/Draft Cross Gelding
    Glistening 13 yr Arab/Saddlebred Mare
  • 12-04-2008 7:09 AM In reply to

Most commonly, I've seen it as a response to back soreness.

Solaris -- 16 hh Appendix Quarter Horse = MY DREAM COME TRUE!
    We Are Flying Solo
  • 12-04-2008 7:12 AM In reply to

When a gelding stands like that, like he's going to pee and doesn't, it usually means that there is something blocking the flow of urine, or making it painful to urinate. Just to be safe, a vet visit should be in order. Kidney stones or beans in the sheath are the most common causes of this, and if it is not addressed, it can become serious, leading to bladder/kidney infections. Not to mention pain for the poor horse. I am speaking from experience; this happened to a gelding I was taking care of many years ago. You can rule out founder if his feet are cool to the touch and he's moving around comfortably, and if he is showing no other signs of colic (i.e. he has good gut sounds). Try to watch him until someone sees him actually urinate; if he keeps stretching out like he wants to go and doesn't more than 3 or 4 times, call the vet. Good luck with the old guy.

Noel
  • 12-04-2008 7:21 AM In reply to

Grrr!! I just typed out a good response to this and the d$*m site deleted it. Alright, I'll try again.

When a gelding is standing stretched out like he needs to pee but doesn't, it usually means that there is something blocking the flow of urine, either a kidney stone or a bean in the sheath. It can be pretty painful for the poor horse. I would recommend a call to the vet. If someone can, watch the horse and see if he ever does actually pee within a couple of hours, or if he just wants/tries to. If there is a blockage it can be potentially serious, leading to bladder/kidney infections.

I know that some horses don't drink as much in the winter as they should; some don't like the cold water, especially if they have teeth issues. This can contribute to urinary blockages, too. You can rule out founder if his hooves are all cool and he is otherwise moving around comfortably, and if he has good gut sounds colic is more than likely not the problem. Just to be safe, I would be calling the vet. I had this happen to a gelding that I was taking care of many years ago. Good luck with the old guy.

Noel
  • 12-04-2008 7:21 AM In reply to

• 12-04-2008 7:24 AM In reply to

It COULD be colic or even a bad hoof trim. But he's obviously at some level of discomfort and should be looked at by a professional. ~FH

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST! ES is screwing up...again.

• 12-04-2008 8:17 AM In reply to

Wow, FH, I love your pic. What a good boy. Is he house broken?
  • 12-04-2008 8:59 AM In reply to

Just to add to what the others have already suggested;  this is one of my guy's CLASSIC signs that he's colicing, does it every time, never fails.

• 12-04-2008 11:12 AM In reply to

Hey thanks for the valuable input, I'll pass it on to his mom.  As soon as she comes, he's at the gate, wanting to go with her so she never sees him in that pose.  Since he only reacts to me when I come bearing goodies, I can observe and report.

Bev and Briahna

...and God took a handful of southerly wind, blew his breath over it and created the horse...

~ Bedouin Legend
    Filed under:
  • 12-04-2008 10:00 PM In reply to

• 12-07-2008 4:45 PM In reply to

Did you ever find an answer?  I have seen some TWs stand like that in the pasture, and it might be a comfortable stance for gaited breeds.  I would be very interested to hear what you found out.

Janice

Bread may feed my body, but my horse feeds my soul.
  • 12-08-2008 5:54 PM In reply to

luneducheval:

Did you ever find an answer?  I have seen some TWs stand like that in the pasture, and it might be a comfortable stance for gaited breeds.  I would be very interested to hear what you found out.

Well, his Mom tells me he has recently been put on Adaquan (I think that's how it's spelled) for his creaky joints and he feels so good he's forgotten he's really 26 years old Big Smile and had been whoopin it up a couple of days before I saw him.  He was just sore, all over probably according to his Mom.  She said she's never seen him stand like that before either, so that's all we could figure.

Bev and Bri

~ Bedouin Legend

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.