Best Places to Live with Horses in the U.S.

Last post 04-22-2012 10:37 PM by jazzalbart. 56 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 01-20-2009 2:29 PM In reply to

Re: Best Places to Live with Horses in the U.S.

I live on a 50 acre horse farm on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. There is plenty of country to either purchase or create your own horse farm and it is relatively inexspensive. Most of the soil is sandy loam which is naturally great footing for horses. My large outdoor riding arena cost me $00.00 to create, I purchased a nice arena drag for $1,000. My farrier who builds arenas told me a similar arena on the Western Shore (Annapolis, DC, Baltimore) would cost $30,000 because of the heavy clay. We have a really nice Spring and Fall, a relatively mild winter, maybe very cold for 5 - 6 weeks, really minimum snow fall due to being surrounded by water, the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean. July and August are hot and humid but I restrict my riding to early morning. This a buggy area, however, I have annual spraying, in tandem with my neighbours, cost is $35.00 per annum, and in 6 years have hardly seem a mosquito. I have a great farrier, a great equine dentist and a choice of good vets. There is a fairly active horse community for support and feed and tack stores all over the place. Fairhill, for eventers is a 2 hour drive away. The Maryland Horse Expo is 2 hours drive. The job market would depend on what sort of business you are in. Annapolis is 40 minutes drive, Easton, Cambridge, Salisbury and Dover, Delaware are all within driving distance. DC and Baltimore are 90 minutes, Philadelphia 2 hours, New York is 31/2 hours just to give you a geographical idea of where we are located. I relocated from California to get away from the traffic and find a beautiful and affordable lifestyle with my horses. I found it!

Tony

• 01-20-2009 8:13 PM In reply to

• beam
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-05-2008
    • Albany,Oregon
    • Foal

I'm  with the gal in N.M.  if I hadn't of  moved here to  Oregon,

N.M. would've of been my choice too.   I love the West and

the South west.   I was born in the West .  Lots of action and

history.  I'd love to go to the All American Qtr. Horse Race

at Ruidoso Downs.   Some of my colts Ancestors raced there.

Don't come to the Northest, it is rainy, some snow,  ice bugs

too, falls are nice, but rains in spr and some summer, hot

in the summer, hardly  any jobs.  Not hardly and benefits

for Senior  Citizens. So the Southwest is better go forit.

Jan

• 01-21-2009 12:27 AM In reply to

Hi Karen...  I live in Oregon, and it is a HAPPY HORSE state.  My horses love life here.  I personally do equestrian show jumping, but in Oregon there are LOADS of people who trail ride.  I would say the majority of these trips are in Eastern Oregon (Bend, Sisters, etc.).  Oregon is so beautiful, and green, and the weather is generally wonderful for all riding types. 

I have to run right now, but email me with any questions that you may have about Oregon!  My email is Love2rideNplay@aol.com

GOOD LUCK!  Vanessa

PS...  if you are looking for a stable to board your horses, email me too! We have a beautiful family stable...  with great care.

• 01-21-2009 8:26 AM In reply to

• Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2009
    • Capital Region of NY
    • Foal

Colorado has more lawyers dealing with water rights then any other field.  You need at least 35 acres to have your own well.  A good resource to research any of the areas mentioned here is:  http://www.city-data.com/

• 01-21-2009 9:56 AM In reply to

I am surprised to hear someone suggest not moving to Florida! Now. South Florida is becomming increasing expensive, but central Florida is fantastic. We own property just outside of Ocala, next to the Ocala National Forest, and we are just plain old working people. The property  (horse property) runs form 200K up. I consider that to be resonable. We are both in the medical field, which fortiantly is not affected so much by the so-called resession. We have 10 acres, three horses, and the weather, with the exception of two months on the summer is just outstanding. There are huricaines, but there are fires, earthquakes, tornados and other natural disasters no matter where you decide to reside. So....my vote is Central Florida!Yes

• 01-21-2009 5:23 PM In reply to

If you love warm weather, having tons of horse farms near by and do not mind spending a TON on hay, I would recommend Ocala, FL.

I have lived in Ocala for about 2 years, but unfortunately, the job market here is nonexistent!  There is a huge network of trails called The Greenway, which is beautiful, but you have to trailer to various trailheads or the FL Horsepark to use these trails unless you own a piece of property that backs up to the Greenway.  There are also lots of equestrian neighborhoods that have trails within riding distance from your property.

HOTM March 2010
  • 01-22-2009 8:19 AM In reply to

Hi Tony,

I too live in your area.  I'm 15 minutes south of Dover, DE in a little town called Felton, DE.  We chose DE because the properties in VA were twice what we paid for ours.  We bought a 10 acre "farmette" with the hopes of one day putting up a barn and indoor arena for me and my husband for our retirement (even thought that won't happen for another 15-20 years) but it's best to plan ahead. We also have a fairly strong horse community i.e. horse racing, western shows, h/j and even eventers, rides on the beaches and state parks for trail riding, so feed and hay is plentiful due to having local growers and the surrounding states PA, MD farmers that sell too.  The state of Delaware offers: NO SALES TAX, Low state taxes and my property taxes on 10 acres are less than someone in a subdivision on a quarter acre. 

We too wanted to find an area that would give us the best possible horse related activities but had the job market to keep a good income.  The job market in either north: Philadelphia, PA; Wilmington, DE, west: Annapolis, MD and of course, Washington DC Metro Area, all about an hour or two from us.

The weather here is a mixture of four seasons, sometimes.  Here recently, we've had colder winters where it gets in the low teens (like the past few days - did you see the inaguaraiton temps 18-27 degress) but, we're expecting a warm up for the next few days in the 40's and 50's.  yeppie Big Smile

Tony, I think we have the best deal of all; living on the east coast, horse friendly states, state parks for trail riding, horse shows, the ocean for beach rides, and of course the job market (military, best hospitals, big government, major corporations, who couldn't ask for more.  Smile

Karen, 

I hope that helps.

Yvette

http://forum.equisearch.com/users/avatar.aspx?userid=6831&lastmodified=634516756353906250
  • 01-22-2009 8:50 AM In reply to

• beam
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-05-2008
    • Albany,Oregon
    • Foal

I live in the northwest, but  your area sounds good.  I moved from Calif. too

b/c I was tired of being ran down or attempted of being ran down when out riding.

I came to Oregon, for   awhile I could ride my horse and not be threatened.

Now  so many people have moved into the area that they don't care. There are

alot of good places to live and ride.  This forum is a good way to find out

where you want to go. So hope you find something.

Janet

• 01-21-2011 6:11 PM In reply to

We used to live in Ft Worth TX and it was a great place for riding.  There are trials from the Stockyards in downtown Ft Worth along the river, and many large parks to ride in.  We have since moved to Lawton OK (hubby is military) and found that we could ride all over the base and the range where the soldiers practice.  There is also Duncan Lake trails just east of us and they are great trails with many challenges around a lake.  Just south of us is Decatur National Grasslands in Decatur TX.  Eastern OK has many many trails up thru the mountains that are so beautiful.

We like the weather here just a little better. Hot in the summer but more of a fall and really short winter to kill the bugs. More green grass for  the horses and bermuda hay in the big 1600 lbs round bales is $50. Alfalfa is also cheaper here. Tx tended to drought out in the summer, and here we get more rain. 

Housing is cheap and finding a place with land much easier. Also  alot of  retired military that ride and we all truck places and its great place to meet friends.  We aren't retired yet, but are in our 50s. 

Goodluck finding your Right Place.

Chris and Dave White

• 03-07-2012 6:28 AM In reply to

I think Austin and Phoenix would be best for you. There are large grass fields in these two areas, which makes these area excellent places to live with horses.

Miami Beach Condos For Sale

• 04-22-2012 10:35 PM In reply to

I have had the chance to live in a number of places including FL & CT and I have to say Colorado is my favorite place to own horses, especially in Douglas County, Colorado. It's very affordable for horse property and owning horses. It's a very friendly horse county with lots of trails, horse parks, trainers, & top notch horse facilities within 10-15 minutes.
  • 04-22-2012 10:37 PM In reply to

I have had the chance to live in a number of places including FL & CT and I have to say Colorado is my favorite place to own horses, especially in Douglas County, Colorado. It's very affordable for horse property and owning horses. It's a very friendly horse county with lots of trails, horse parks, trainers, & top notch horse facilities within 10-15 minutes.

Page 4 of 4 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.