cellulitis

Last post 02-08-2009 8:33 AM by kgb. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 01-21-2009 11:18 AM

cellulitis

My 12yr thbrd gelding has cellulitis.  He's being treated with antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, cold-hosing, hand-walking and accupuncture.  I understand I can get rid of it now, but like colic, once it happens, it tends to happen again. Anyone have any experience with this?  Is it likely to re-occur?

Thanks
  • 01-21-2009 2:23 PM In reply to

Re: cellulitis

I'm afraid I don't know for sure, but I suspect it would depend on what caused the cellulitis to start with.  If he contracted scratches (inflamation of the heel area), and then developed cellulitis, I imagine the cycle could repeat.  You should probably talk to your vet about it and see what preventative measures you could take in the future.  Good luck with your boy!

• 01-21-2009 3:03 PM In reply to

We're not entirely sure how he contracted it. However, it started in his r front, which he kicked in turnout, it swelled, then calmed then flared up.  There was no cut that we could find.  I will talk to my vet more, but curious for now.  Thanks for your input
  • 01-21-2009 6:58 PM In reply to

It happened to my horse last winter- the vet believes it was due to scratches. He has not had another flair up since. He is very prone to stocking up. Since this flair up- I have been very aggressive with his heels- he hardly goes a day without a scrub of at least his pasterns and I'm very conscience of keeping them clean and dry. When he can't be turned out I hand walk him for up to an hour sometimes 2ce a day. (with vet permission) I also keep some special drugs on hand for emergancies
    What really did the trick to get rid of his cellulitis was this machine we rented from a special horse practice. Talk to your vet- perhaps you can find one in your area. It is called a Game Ready machine (you can google it). It is these boots that you put on the horses' legs. The boots have hoses attached that go to the main box. You fill the box with ice water. The boots add pressure and cold hydro therapy all in one, minus the wet part! Check them out, they really kicked Joe's cellulitis out the door.

Good Luck!
    Addie,
    Lover of Ponies.
    Owner of a Fabulous Argentine Warmblood.

• 01-21-2009 9:00 PM In reply to

I'm encouraged you're having success keeping your horse from another flare-up.  Your vigilance is paying off.  You must've been channeling your response to me through the ether ''cause his pasterns are now shaved and Nolvasan-clean (with a large supply on hand) and gave daytime groom who does turnout firm instructions to watch for cuts & wash immediately.  I'm getting some clamp lamps so I can see better when I'm there at night.  Still, good to know that it can be manageable.  Thanks!
  • 01-21-2009 9:01 PM In reply to

By the way, cute Argentian warmblood!
  • 01-26-2009 3:39 PM In reply to

Believe me, I freak out and begin a super scrub down as soon as the first signs appear. Even if I have to lug warm water out when it's cold. So far so good =]

And thanks! He is my pride and joy =]
    Addie,
    Lover of Ponies.

• 01-27-2009 7:29 AM In reply to

Shame on me.  I should've also commented on your lovely equitation.  Hope you pinned nicely in that class!

My horse is doing well, so far. I'm getting on him tonight to begin exercising him.  This all began with some slight unsoundness in the right front and when I got off, he had what appeared to be a new splint or perhaps he'd kicked himself.  So I'd been treating him for that when the cellulitis hit.  Now, there's just a slight swelling where that original swelling was and a cut.  Was it the first flaring of cellulitis with some infection coming through?  Did he kick himself in his stall?  (He's been know to canter in his stall, bores easily.) We'll see.  Meanwhile, there's a horse a few stalls away with lymphangitis.  Poor guy is miserable.

BTW, we shaved his pasterns and found 3 cuts on the right front pastern which we hadn't noticed thanks to the hair.  But without the hair, the cuts might have been worse.  Horses!.
  • 01-30-2009 7:29 PM In reply to

Well thanks for the kudos but I don't believe ribbons were working in our favor that weekend. We had some issues with some jumps and not enough energy. Lets just say I wasn't exactly setting Joe up too well. Poor guy did all he could. Although he was jumping rather nicely when we did go over the jumps =]
    Addie,
    Lover of Ponies.

• 02-08-2009 7:08 AM In reply to

My 18 year old gelding cut his left rear leg/hoof on something (we still have not figure out what it was) while he was out in pasture, and he ended up with a mild case of cellulitis, but it did not progress because we had already put him on antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, cold water hosing, daily dressing changes and pain medication by the time the cellulitis reared it's ugly head--  We have been lucky so far, and he has not had a flare up since the original injury that caused it to begin with.  We have not, however, ridden him since his injury so he has had plenty of time to heal with no aggravation-- (It happened in July, and we haven't ridden this winter  -- been too icy and cold)--

I hope yours heals up and has no problems with it. 

Kel Choate
  • 02-08-2009 8:33 AM In reply to

Hi everyone,

My gelding is fine now.  He did a few nasty things to that one leg in turnout: swollen bone and tendon sheaths and 3 cuts.  He's back to work this last week, lots of trotting and light bending.  We're also doing a lot of aisle work to help his sacrum which always 'goes out' when he isn't worked.

Interestingly, a 3rd case of cellulitis nearly happened at our barn (Chicago area).  Think the extreme cold and 2ft accumulation of snow and ice in pasture is condusive to this happening.  Anyhow, this last incidence was with a stallion I exercise.  Happily, I caught it right away and he's fine. Another horse I work with had had surgery and others couldn't go outside because it was too cold and horses were getting injured, so several of us were hand-walking.  I'll always remember this past January as "My month of hand-walking".  They're worth it, right?  

Good luck to all your horses' who had a bout of cellulitis.  I get the impression if we catch it and manage it right away, long-term prognosis is great - as long as it's not actually lymphangitis. 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.