Anyone know about saddle maker "J C Higgins"?

Last post 08-01-2006 3:46 PM by walkinthewalk. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 08-01-2006 3:46 PM

Anyone know about saddle maker "J C Higgins"?

I just bought a saddle for $75. A friend of my dad's got it when he was just a little kid, now he's almost 60. There's a craftman's mark (sort of) near the pommel. It's a cirle that says "J C Higgins" on top with a bucking bronco inside the circle. There's also a serial number on the latigo keeper. I was wondering if anyone has a saddle made by this J C Higgins or if you've even heard of it?
  • 08-01-2006 4:56 PM In reply to

Re: Anyone know about saddle maker "J C Higgins"?

YES~
    Good solid old saddles. They bring more money at the sales then the new ones... Smile
  • 08-01-2006 5:07 PM In reply to

JC Higgins saddles were a Sears & Roebuck product. Smile

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".

Sig & pretty ponies by RopinReins
  • 08-01-2006 8:50 PM In reply to

So I'm assuming that I just got a screamin' deal? It's in really good condition, just needs some dusting and a little suppling.
  • 08-01-2006 11:05 PM In reply to

I use an old JC Higgins. Supposedly there is a place on line where you can look up the number on the keeper. I've never been able to find it and would love to know when it was purchased, etc. I think we have genuine Americana.

Horses give us the wings we lack.
  • 08-02-2006 3:13 PM In reply to

Yes! Laugh
  • 08-02-2006 5:32 PM In reply to

These folks also made saddles for Sears-Roebuck and Montgomery Wards, a/k/a "Monkey Wards" to us old timers-lol
    Capitol Saddlery

I still have the saddle, bridle and martengale my mom bought brand new for me at Sears-Roebuck in 1959. It is black with silve diamond studs and has taps.

Here's a link to a J.C. Higgins saddle that was (or might still be) for sale for $1,750, so don't be too hasty to part with your $75 purchase Laugh

J.C. Higgins saddle for sale

Now that you've got our curiousity up, do you have pictures???? Cool

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.