Gluquestrian Powder? Other joint supplements?

Last post 01-21-2012 7:11 PM by foghornleg90. 31 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 09-16-2009 5:59 PM In reply to

Re: Gluquestrian Powder? Other joint supplements?

Frizzle:
    Just wanted to give you even more information to ponder, Nicole!

Haha, no no this is great.  And I certainly have no intentions of injecting her joints unless/until absolutely necessary.  But I know that was not was txspots was suggesting anyway.  Just saying.

We'll see how a steady dose of glucosamine and msm serves Riz, and if necessary I'll look into adding HA, but I've seen that it can be quite pricey. 

Loving the info!  Thanks guys! 

• 09-16-2009 6:45 PM In reply to

I love SmartFlex Senior and also SmartHoof.  You really can't beat Super BioZin for crappy feet, but once Solo grew out nice new ones, I switched him to the SmartHoof to see if it would do as well (it was a lot cheaper) and it is GREAT stuff.  

I find that in a boarding barn, SmartPaks are really great and I think they are very affordable when you factor in everything including (1) I never have to go to the store to buy supplements (2) I am able to buy stuff that's not available around here and usually get free shipping (3) I know my horse gets an accurate amount of the correct stuff every day (4) It's never sitting around long enough to degrade or expire (5) I don't have to spend any time pre-measuring or whatnot.  If I was feeding him myself I would probably feel differently, but as a boarder, I will NEVER give up my SmartPaks!  I even get my dog food from them now because it priced out pretty comparably.

Solaris -- 16 hh Appendix Quarter Horse = MY DREAM COME TRUE!
    We Are Flying Solo
  • 09-17-2009 12:28 PM In reply to

yeah, I think they've (smartpaks) come a long way too.  i know that when they first came out they were so novel and so convenient that they were pret-ty pric-ey; but now like i say that they have their own Smart-brands, they're much more reasonably priced, and convenient not only if you board but if you ever travel without your ponies and have to have a horse sitter. 

• 09-17-2009 6:26 PM In reply to

I'm not too worried at the barn I board at now, having worked there and knowing how the system works, but for future barns SmartPaks do seem to be the way to go.  Now that I look at them again, they seem to have become much more reasonable.  I will definitely keep them in mind!  Do they ship directly to the barn or to your house?  It wasn't quite clear on the website.

• 09-17-2009 7:40 PM In reply to

Nicole:
    Do they ship directly to the barn or to your house? 

You can get them shipped to either your barn or your house. If multiple people at your barn get Smartpaks, you can become "Barn Buddies" and have your stuff shipped together for a reduced rate.

The other great thing is they have flat-rate shipping; so, even if you order a tack trunk, you only pay $7.95 for shipping. Not a bad deal.

I swear I do not work for them (although, how cool would that be?).

• 09-17-2009 10:07 PM In reply to

http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/68/1

I used this on my arab when I first got him.  His joints had gotten so stiff he could hardly get back up after laying down.  The vet even said he might have to be euthanized if it got any worse.  But this stuff was like a miracle--my horse started to show improvement after a few days and kept getting better. 

http://www.johnlyons.com/infaith.php

http://s876.photobucket.com/albums/ab325/arabpaso12/Trailrides/?albumview=slideshow&track=share_email_album_view_click
  • 09-18-2009 5:36 AM In reply to

Frizzle:

Nicole:
    Do they ship directly to the barn or to your house? 

The other great thing is they have flat-rate shipping; so, even if you order a tack trunk, you only pay $7.95 for shipping. Not a bad deal.

You can VERY often find the code for free shipping on retailmenot.com

Solaris -- 16 hh Appendix Quarter Horse = MY DREAM COME TRUE!
    We Are Flying Solo
  • 09-18-2009 5:43 AM In reply to

That's interesting AP, I had not heard of Springtime before.  And I don't think I've ever seen Chondroitin Sulfate as a singular product before either.  Hmmm.

And thanks for the free shipping website Solo, I had heard of freeshipping.com before, but not this one!

• 09-18-2009 11:27 AM In reply to

txspots:
    That's interesting AP, I had not heard of Springtime before

I hadn't, either, but they recently sent me a catalog. It's a lot of herbal, natural stuff and it looks really good. They have supplements for horses, dogs, and people...might be interesting to look in to it.

And, yeah, thanks for the link, Solo. I had never heard of that one before.

• 01-31-2011 3:41 PM In reply to

I have a 24 year old Palomino Quarter horse that I thought I would have to put down due to arthitis.  He could barely get up to eat.  I read the article by the developers of Gluquestrian and it made perfect sense.  I ordered a jar because it was my last option before euthenasia.  I started administering the powder, mixed in apple sauce, and injecting it into his mouth to control the delivery. That was on Monday evening 1/24/11. 

I didn't expect to see any improvement for at least 2 weeks but by Wednesday, there was a noticable change.  He was limping but at least he was walking.  Over the weekend he was walking more with less of a limp, so continued to give him the recommended double dose.  This morning he was better still and with a "bright" look on his face instead of an expression of pain.  This is after 1 week.  Yes, it works. 

So, is it expensive?  I contend that cheap supplements are expensive in terms of wasted money, guilt and the suffering of your friend.  I'm glad I spent the money. 

Read the articles at www.equinearthritis.com regaring the different glucosamines, the good, the bad and the useless.    Hope this helps.

Leny Freeman

• 01-16-2012 10:04 AM In reply to

The really cool thing about the MD's Choice products, aside from being the only company that has a RESULTS BASED GUARANTEE for nearly 15 years that isn't limited to 1 bottle or 30 days, is their sucess rate... over 90%! The next thing, aside from being the only joint supplements guaranteed to help the body heal - not just mask the problem with heral pain killers & anti-inflamitories - is that this is the only product with proven sucess at actually treating and reversing the negative effects on the joints with issues beyond normal arthritis, such as Navicular Syndrome and Founder (if caught quickly enough), and Ringbone (if persistently used). 

The other interesting thing is that when comparing products, the lower doses of the Gluqestrian are usually higher, stronger,  and better than most competiting products because of the bio-availability, and function within the body. The dosing can be reduced over time, which drastically reduces the cost... bounced back up to a higher level only if there is an injury or problem that requires it.

Before you count Gluquestrian out, sincerely compare the ingredients... the dosing... and think about what your goals are. The 1,000g container has 240 scoops... which is a 240 day preventive dose, 120 maintence dose for a horse with mild issues or being riden (competed) hard, a 90 theraputic dose, or 30 day treatment for Navicular Syndrome. By the time you factor in the cost of the vet, the shoots, and assorted other factors... Gluquestrian is a feasible answer. 

I've personally been taking the Arthrosmine (human version) since 1995... it easily gave me 15 to 20 YEARS BACK. I started at 9 capsules a day (3 three times a day) - because I've had numerous injuries over the years. Wrist, elbow, and knee surgery... broke neck once, back twice... 37 separate instances of broken bones. I physically noticed a difference in all but my back in 6 weeks or less, the back took about 6 months. It took me 1.5 years to work down to just 3 capsules a day... another year to get down to 1 capsule a day. But, at 51 years old, I'm  very avtive, and unless I have an injury, I'm maintaining on 1 capsule per day. It works the same way foryour horss & dogs. Reduce the dose as healing occurs. 

There is a new facebook page - 'Gluqestrian' - and one for the human version 'Arthrosmine' - another factoid is that these supplements have been the same exact price since 1995, while many have raised... MD's Choice has never sacrificed quality or added masking agents (herbs, HA, Cetyl-M, or other blockers & pain killers) to maintain ehtical awareness. If pain exists, use a pain killer if necessary, but never in a daily supplement intended for prolonged use. Because if you do, you'll never really know if the results you think you are experiencing is just because there is less pain (as the problem is masked and likely just getting worse) or if there is really healing. Few products (or companies in the supplement area) care more about the safety & efficacy of their products. You'll be happy... and you'll see positive results within 3 - 1,000g containers (or 3 bottles of the human product for yourself) OR YOUR MONEY BACK. (When is the last time a vet or farrier... or trainer offered to give your money back if a treatment, therapy, or gadget didn't work for you???)

• 01-16-2012 10:12 AM In reply to

Seriously check out the article on www.equineartitis.com - the Yucca in the product you recammended would be a serious issue, and is something that does NOT belong in a daily supplement intended for prolonged use. Feed lot steers are feed massive doses of yucca... to keep the smell in their urine & fease down... and in 18 months, when they are slaughtered, their joints look like they are 20+ years old. 

Be very cautious and weary of any herb in a daily supplement... 'www.herbsaredrugs.com' - while they have their place, when used correctly, prolonged daily use is NOT IT! 

• 01-16-2012 10:23 AM In reply to

The very best Chrondroitin Sulfate on the market is made by a company named Nutramax (Cosequin)... and studies have shown that 50% of their Glucosamine HCl (that's a lower case 'L') and 70% of their Chrondroitin ends up in the poop within 24 hours. And that is the best of those two ingredients, and it's a safe & effective product. HOWEVER, the active uptake of the MD's Choice joint supplements (Equine, Canine, and Human) are 1 to 4 hours into the blood stream, and 4 to 6 hours TO THE JOINT TISSUE, with a 97% bio-availability because of the type & quality of the nutrients used. 

Another factoid: Glucosamine HCl is never sold by itself because it has ZERO bioavailability without a sulpher source. Chrondriotin CAN BE sold (and used) by itself, and some (about 5 to 30% depending on the manufacturer) will get to the joints. But Glucosamine Sulphate 2KCl is 90 to 98% absorbed, and over 90% used within the body.

Comparing these igredients is like comparing motor oil to gasoline to jet fuel... all potrolium products, but clearly and absolutely used for different purposes, and for different things. If you really want the best oral supplement for a body, the MD's Choice products are that! 

• 01-16-2012 10:34 AM In reply to

The problem with 'Smart-Pak' isn't the convience, that's their selling point... and what they've built their business on. The issue is the quality of knock off's and the question of whether their 'smart brands' are 'the real deal' or some cheap chinesse (or some other) immitation?!?! What are the Certified Analysis for heavy metals in their private labeled stuff? Who actually does their formulation & double checks the safety & efficacy of the ingredients used? Sorry, but while I love a good deal & saving money, I personally tend to shy away from any company that starts selling 'generics' and competing products (with those companies they were representing & helped build their company). IMHO, 'Smart Pak' should stick to their packaging & distribution, and let the professionals - the veterinarians, nutritionists, and biochemists deal with the creation of the formulas. Because not all nutrients are the same... the processing, manufacturing, and combinations really do matter. 

• 01-21-2012 5:20 PM In reply to

I have an OTTB so joint supplement has been something I've been exploring for quite some time.  With my horse I've tried...

-Nu-Flex Maximizer (it's ok and would probably be good for maintenance, but I switched because the price kept jumping (It was about $70+)

-Max Flex Maximum Relief pellets (again I didn't have much success with this one it didn't really do much.  I also learned later on that with joint supplements you have best results with powder.)

-Absorbine Flex + (again ok, but I had to drive about 30 miles out of the way to get it)

-Absorbine Joint Combo (really didn't do much)

-Fluid Action HA (I really didn't like this with my TB, though I had no issues with my QH who has no current problems at age 23)

-I also really like Retrisport-100, but it's extremely expensive.

Currently my horse is getting Rapid Flex, and I personally think it rivals the Retrisport-100 and it's only $43 compared to $100+.  The things I really like about both Rapid Flex and Retrisport-100 is that they smell amazing and my horse loves them both.  He will actually eat it without grain.  In the summer my horse and I are very active with dressage and jumping; at 21 years old my TB (Solo) does extremely well and has improved significantly since I started using it.

Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.