Horse toes out?

Last post 07-22-2011 5:09 PM by NecorPony. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 12-17-2009 6:54 AM

Horse toes out?

Has anyone had a horse who toes out in the front?  Can you tell me anything about it?  I'm looking into a couple different horses - one of them is 10 and needs shoes all around to prevent bruises and abscesses and also reacts terribly to the summer bugs & weather.  The other one is barefoot at 5 yrs and toes out - has a beautiful way of going, but I don't know much about a horse that toes out.  She's got a lovely mind. 

Any advice here?

• 12-17-2009 8:49 AM In reply to

Re: Horse toes out?

How bad does the horse toe out and where does the turn start? from the knee down? We looked at one that toed out - and while he looked pretty from the side - he interfered with himself so badly he had sores on his fetlocks. Whereas, we've had another that only toed out slightly, and wasn't noticable when kept trimmed up - and he didn't interfere at all. What do you plan to use the horse for?

• 12-17-2009 9:30 AM In reply to

I'll try to get a photo of the horse from the front so the toe-out can be seen, but here is a photo of the left lead canter.  She toes out more on the left.  I believe her conformation flaw does not interfere with her work from what I've seen and been told.  The lady who has her appears to be very honest about everything, which is good.  They don't try to correct it, they just trim accordingly.  Her work would be in the hunter ring and that's what she seems to enjoy the most.  I show occasionally and do arena work about 4 times per week.  I don't do any jumps over 2'.  I like working in the arena and improving my riding (and horse) and trails also.  Just searching for a nice hunter mount to enjoy for a long time whether it's showing the local shows or schooling at home and with others.

Hope this picture posts - it's in my gallery I believe.  Rather new at posting pics and I can't insert one as my computer beeps at me when I click on the icon to do so.

http://forum.equisearch.com/photos/hh5131/images/335522/original.aspx

• 12-17-2009 12:00 PM In reply to

Stear clear of the first horse!  You will end up with more vet bills and stall lay-ups than you will riding time.

The mare looks really cute.  Since she is only 5 a little bit of her toeing out could be correctable with a good and knowledgable trimmer.  Since you are only competing in lower level local and schooling shows I really don't think it is something to worry too much about.  If everything else about the horse is what you are looking for than go for it!  The horse in my avatar picture is pigeon toed and has been his whole life but that is his only flaw!  You can ride him through Las Vegas bareback with a rope around his neck one day, win a speed event the next day, and teach a little kid to ride on the third day.  He may not win a halter class but that isn't of value to me.  Anyway- moral of story- if it isn't affecting her movement and she isn't interferring and causing injury (check her front legs for scarring- if there is quite a bit it will indicate a problem- if not you should be ok) and you like everything else about her go for it!  No horse is perfect.

• 12-17-2009 1:07 PM In reply to

I have no problems with slight toe outs as long as the horse is not interfering in such as a way as to cause injury.

Solaris -- 16 hh Appendix Quarter Horse = MY DREAM COME TRUE!
    We Are Flying Solo
  • 12-17-2009 6:13 PM In reply to

My horse toes out as well, but with regular trimming and careful attention to good hoof balance he doesn't have any problem with it.....no interference. I agree with all the other posters, as long as she isn't interfering badly it is a manageable issue.

• 12-20-2009 9:25 AM In reply to

I agree with everyone else and just would like to add 2 things:  1. how good your farrier is can have a HUGE impact on how sound your horse stays. 2. I think that, just to be on the safe side if I were you, I would ride the horse in bell boots and protective boots (at least on the front legs).

Good luckYes  She looks like a really nice mareSmile

HOTM March 2010
  • 07-21-2011 11:44 PM In reply to

I definately agree with the first sentence. That horse will just be a pit you pour money into for not much in return. Just like to add that there is no way you'd be able to correct her toed out conformation at 5, and to try to do so could end up causing a lot of pain and strss, and ultimately damage her legs. Her growth plates are sealed, so her conformation is permanent now. It's virtually impossible to find a horse with perfectly straight legs.

If the toeing out is slightly more than what you'd consider nimor, look at her trotting from the front, and if you cant see her dishing (winging to the inside) then look for her knees moving outwards when she lifts them. This indicated that she is dishing, but I wouldn't let that put you off buying her, just use boots - open front jumping boots with a hard shell are often good in these cases. I wouldn't use bell boots though, as if shes going to hit her own leg, then the bell boot will add extra bulk and she may trip. :) 

• 07-22-2011 5:11 AM In reply to

Since the original post was from 2009, I think they've made a decision by now...  ;-P

Solaris -- 16 hh Appendix Quarter Horse = MY DREAM COME TRUE!
    We Are Flying Solo
  • 07-22-2011 6:22 AM In reply to

LOL Solaris, very true!  In fact, I went for the mare that toes out and I enjoy her very much still to this day!  She is coming along so nicely even after I gave her about 5-6 months off due to being very busy and moving, etc.  She is doing great at transitions from walk to canter even on the left lead which was her difficult lead.  I remember when I couldn't even get her on the left lead, but now, presto, no prob!  Anyway, she's a good girl with a great attitude and very willing to please.  Doing well!  :)

• 07-22-2011 5:09 PM In reply to

Yea, I saw that Solaris, but I wanted to add my 2 cents anyway :)

I'm so glad you and your horse are going well HH5131 :)

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.