Torn Collateral Ligament

Last post 12-10-2011 11:39 PM by MCoon. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 10-08-2006 11:41 AM

Torn Collateral Ligament

My mare was diagnosed last week w/ a torn (70%)collateral ligament in her right front foot- it's the ligament that connects through the pastern and into the hoof.

Vet says 4-12 months off, stall rest for now, and only hand walking 15 min. 2X a day- she's starting shock therapy next week- The good news is the vet says she'll most likely make a full recovery...

Has anyone else had any experience w/ this kind of injury or simlilar? If so-How long did it take to heal? Has anyone tried the shock therapy?
  • 10-08-2006 12:15 PM In reply to

Re: Torn Collateral Ligament

My trainer had a horse that tore his suspensory ligament. He was going to be her Rolex horse. He was given a year off, and had shockwave therapy done. He is now 100% sound, but my trainer sold him as a Novice/Training/Prelim packer because he is 13 or 14 now and has had various other injuries such as a broken stifle. But he is very sound and happy and I believe he will stay that way unless he has another accident...

• 10-08-2006 12:25 PM In reply to

Thanks- That's good to hear! The vet is going to do another ultrasound after the shock therapy (6 weeks) to check the healing progress...

Poor girl is already going crazy being in her stall so much!
  • 10-08-2006 12:29 PM In reply to

Good! I hope she makes a full recovery for you!

• 10-11-2006 5:55 PM In reply to

It will be closer to the 12 months but if you do give her the time it can heal.
  • 10-11-2006 7:24 PM In reply to

Thanks- she had her first round of shock therapy yesterday...
    I'll do whatever it takes to get her better Smile
  • 12-10-2011 11:39 PM In reply to

How is your mare doing? I hope to hear that she is back to 100%

- - - mine tore hers in April. She stressed out being her the stall and re injured it in October - I'm getting pretty depressed about her. She's has 2 round of sound shock treatments and after her setback she was given PRP Protein Rich Plasma treatment.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.