What type of horse could carry a VERY large rider?

Last post 11-06-2006 8:45 PM by smilinangels_horse. 52 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (53 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 11-06-2006 8:45 PM

What type of horse could carry a VERY large rider?

My new husband is very large (like around 350+ ponds) and needs a horse that can carry this type of weight without being bothered about it. We have 4 horses and very one of them do not like being rode by him. He has already gotten hurt each time he tries riding them just as he gets up in the saddle and sits down, they manage to get him off one way or the other.. The only thing I can think of why they are doing this is because he is just to heavy? My question is... Would a mule be more suited for a heavy rider or what type of horse? A larger breed? Clydesdale? Please help...this is my last chance at keeping my husband interested... thank ya..
    Melissa
  • 11-06-2006 8:48 PM In reply to

Re: What type of horse could carry a VERY large rider?

What about a draft or draft cross? - nice and sturdy. Or ask a vet for ideas. I think the weight rule is the weight of the rider equals 20% or 25% the weight of the horse. Can your husband ride? Would he be able to "do" a big horse?
    When I count my blessings, I count my horse twice!

• 11-06-2006 9:08 PM In reply to

The weight rule is that a horse should only carry 1/5 of his/her body weight. So you definitely need a BIG horse. Take your husband's weight and multiply it by 5. 350 x 5 = 1750 So you need a horse hat weighs AT LEAST 1,750 lbs. You need to be looking at a draft. The breed standard for Belgians is about 1,700-2,100 lbs. and the standards for Clydesdales is 1,600-2,400 lbs. You can genreally find some nice drafts out there who are easy to handle, and have been used for work AND driving so they know the drill.

Do not try to put your husband on a a horse that weighs less than 1,750, it is not healthy for the animal and it is not fair to ask them to do that. A single ride can cause permanent damage to the horse's spine.

Also remember that it is not just how much you weigh physically, but that you can be heavier if you do not hold your body correctly when riding. Dead weight that just sits there is heavier than someone holding their own weight correctly when they ride, so if your husband is a beginner, make sure you get a horse with some extra weight to take on the extra weight of a beginnre rider.
    A Woman's Place is...

...On a Saddlebred
  • 11-06-2006 9:21 PM In reply to

Develop an interest in driving.
    No one that size should be getting on ANY horse.
  • 11-06-2006 9:24 PM In reply to

Drafts are great- find a large one that can ride and drive,
    and you'll be set! Smile
  • 11-06-2006 11:15 PM In reply to

Well, damn, wasn't that sweet.
    Does your horse know you act this way?

For the OP, I second the draft horse. If the height is a problem, there are some smaller stature drafts out there. Good luck and what a great wife you are for trying to help your hubby.
    Charaty

• 11-06-2006 11:28 PM In reply to

I agree on all counts. I bring up the driving because I'm going to have my Percheron cross, Aislyn, taught to drive as well as ride, just for the fun of it. It would be neat to go out for a drive with my family. Drafts can handle alot of weight- that's what the knights in heavy armor rode back in the day. There are alot of them being used as riding horses now, and there are a number of people here on the forum that have them for just that purpose. Smile
  • 11-06-2006 11:30 PM In reply to

BTW, welcome to the forum, Mel! Smile Smile Smile
  • 11-07-2006 12:27 AM In reply to

My husband is a large man also, 6'2" 307 lbs. To be totaly honest with you, instead of finding a horse for his weight class, encourage him to loose some of his weight. Not only will he feel better but so will his heart, liver, kidneys... and so on, I am sure at some point his doctor said the same thing. My DH is only in his early 30's and is already on high blood presure meds, acid reflux meds, and high chloresterol meds, it scares me to death to think of him having a heart attck before he is able to loose the weight. It is a struggle, I know, but if he is really interested in riding, it will make him able to balance better and be a better rider. For his own health and a long happy marriage, encourage him to get on a plan that will get him back to a healthy weight. Good luck. ( can you tell I am a nursing student :0)
  • 11-07-2006 12:40 AM In reply to

I strongly agree with the last post. Now I don't know what his particular situation is in terms ofhealth, but if the doc does think he needs to loose the weight, than using riding as an inspiration for that weight loss may help. If you explain the very harmful permanent damage of too much weight on a horse, I am sure he will want to be responsible.

Just to give an example, I once had a lesson student who was drastically overweight for her size. She was a young teenager and her doctor was very concerned. Her mother often discussed it with me. She was in love with one of my lesson ponies but I would never let her ride him because he only weighed 800 lbs and she weighed almost 200 pounds. She could barely do her barn chores, like walking to pasutre to get a horse, she would be winded, etc...

So her father, (also large) who didn;t thik that the doctor's concern was warranted decides to up and buy her a pony. He knows nothing about horses, nothing about riding, does not ask for my advice, nothing. Even the wife did not know about it. So this trailer shows up during my group lesson (the daughter was getting my larger lesson horse ready for the group lesson, she was going to ride in it) and the father pulls up next to the trailer and calls us out to see the new pony he bought her.

She was so thrilled. Now, it is no secret that I am a total hard a$$. So I went into the barn and got my weight tape to weigh the new pony. She weighed 850 pounds. She looked just like my lesson pony (I think he just tried to get as close to what he looked like) I told my lesson students to go inside and I stayed out with the fatehr and daughter. I told them that she would not be permitted to ride this horse at my barn, that she was welcome to work on the ground with the horse until she lost the weight. He was furious and said they should go elsewhere and I explained that the pony would be permanently damaged elsewhere too. I told her that if she could loose 30 pounds to get herself down to 170 lbs then she could start riding her pony at my barn.

She lost the weight in 4 months (under her doctor's supervision) and began riding her pony. Years later she thanked me for making her realize how her body affects her horse's body.

Again, not sure how his situation it, but it can work as a nice motivation.
    A Woman's Place is...

...On a Saddlebred
  • 11-07-2006 12:46 AM In reply to

I would look at a draft, draft cross, or draft mule. He also needs to take lessons on HOW to ride. There is a lot he can do to make things more comfortable for the horse.

Remeber to pad the horse well and be sure the saddle fits properly. And I 3rd the weight loss. Getting down to 250-275 would be a lot easier on the horse and himself. Riding will definitely help get him more active, which will encourage weight loss. I am struggling with this myself! Smile

~Barbara
    http://BarbarasDomain.com
    http://HelpHorses.com
    http://QuarterHorseDressage.com - A Dressage information site focused on the stock horse owner.
  • 11-07-2006 1:57 AM In reply to

Well, I'm a heavy weight. I ride a Draft cross. Another heavy weight I know rides a Belgian. Probably something like that would suit your hubby. Your husband would benifit from learning how to ride balanced.
    Photobucket

http://percheronridersdressagejourney.blogspot.com/
  • 11-07-2006 2:14 AM In reply to

*deep breath*

First of all, how the devil do y'all KNOW the man isn't trying to lose weight? Maybe he can't lose the weight and so help me GOD if someone else self righteous pops up and slaps this poor woman down I will go ballistic.
    She simply asked for a recommendation of a horse her husband can safely ride, not a prescription for what ya'll think ails him. You may think it's 'helpful' to suggest he loose weight but i'm sure he's well aware of his size and knows what he wants to do with it and right now, it's ride a horse with his wife.
    Charaty

• 11-07-2006 2:17 AM In reply to

Ditto.

Kieva, 16.2h 8 yr old Danish Warmblood mare
    IrishWillow's MySpace
    Willow Page
  • 11-07-2006 2:18 AM In reply to

I want my drafts to drive too. We have a friend who drives his walking horse and he talks about how my drafts will plod along behind his wagon. Now, if I show up with Trace and a big ol' wagon and park it next to his 15 hand walking horse...... the friesian in him lightened him up a lot, he's a very light mover, the only plodder here is my belgian :-)
    Charaty

Page 1 of 4 (53 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.