my horse is slobbering

Last post 11-20-2006 3:28 PM by morningglorytime. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 11-20-2006 3:28 PM

my horse is slobbering

i went out to see my horses this morning and my gelding has this really thick clear slobber stuff in his mouth. every once in a while a thick string of it will come out of his mouth. he's chewing alot and acting like he's trying to get it out but it won't come out. he's eating and drinking fine, so it's not affecting that at all, but i don't know if i need to call the vet or not. i'm on a very strict budget with the horses so i try not to call the vet unless i absolutely have to. does anyone know what this is? Confused

Morning Glory Time(QH), Jeri West(OTTB), Highland Hurricane(TB)
  • 11-20-2006 3:40 PM In reply to

Re: my horse is slobbering

Did you get a good look in his mouth to be sure there's nothing stuck in there? Is he eating any clover? Clover is known to make horses slobber. Any unusual smell?

Thank you MadMare!!!

"So now boss man, here's my 2 weeks,
    I'll make it short and sweet!" --Sugarland
  • 11-20-2006 4:41 PM In reply to

You'll have to see if maybe he got stuck with something. Open his mouth and grab his tongue and pull it to the side of the mouth and have a peek up there and see if you can see anything. He may have just eaten something strange that is making him slobber. How long has this been going on for now? Call the vet and just see what he has to say.

If you don't want to stand behind our soldiers who are in danger zones, please stand in front of one.

If you really open your ears and eyes, you will see that there is alot of great advice given on here. You just have to see it and hear it without closing off your mind.

VanHalen 26 yr QH Stallion R.I.P. 4/11/82 - 5/8/08 24 wonderful years together.
    Scout 25-28 yr Paint/Draft Cross Gelding
    Glistening 13 yr Arab/Saddlebred Mare
  • 11-20-2006 5:01 PM In reply to

I would say if its not clearing up in a few hours I would call the vet as you dont want something stuck in there and let it be and it cause an infection....then you are into worse things then you were if you gotten it checked out asap.
  • 11-20-2006 8:04 PM In reply to

What part of the country are you in? In addition to having something 'stuck', your horse may have eaten something he shouldn't have. Are you familiar with harmful plants in your area that would cause symptoms like this? Are there any harmful substances that the horse may have gained access too? I'd keep a close eye on it. Maybe you could just put a call in to your vet and get some feedback from them. They may be aware of some local forage that might be causeing problems. Just my .02 DND
    Looking for an excuse to dust off my barn boots...

www.skinnyhorse.com
  • 11-20-2006 10:04 PM In reply to

Yogi was doing that in the summer time- I thought it was clover at first but he wouldnt be in the grass for hours and he would still slobber! I called the vet out after a few days and when she looked in his mouth, he had blisters all his tongue and the sides and roof of his mouth. I felt horrible but he too was eating and drinking normally so I didnt think something could be seriously wrong. The vet put him on some pain meds and antibiotic. I wet his hay and grain down until his pain meds were done and he was fine in a few days. Take a peek in your horses mouth. If you can get a good feel or look at his tongue. I would seriously consider calling the vet out if the slobbering doesnt stop soon!

1100 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Yogi- 12 year old Appendix Quarter Horse
  • 11-22-2006 1:02 PM In reply to

my mare started slobbering yesterday. i didn't think we had clover, but i went to the pasture to check and we did so i'm hoping that's what it is. but i'll go have another look in their mouths just to make sure. thanks for everyone's advice.

Morning Glory Time(QH), Jeri West(OTTB), Highland Hurricane(TB)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.