Friends of RR - the official thread

Last post 04-15-2014 6:36 PM by 48northfarm. 13973 replies.
Page 874 of 932 (13974 items) « First ... < Previous 872 873 874 875 876 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 07-05-2011 7:03 PM In reply to

Re: Send some good thoughts to a friend in need...

SeeingStarz:

And 48 we hope to vist that state at some point in life its on the bucket list - how did you ever leave?

I spent 45 years there. It's a great place to visit, but I finally got tired of not being able to go anywhere except by plane, paying extra for air shipping when in the rest of the US you can get ground shipping, having 7 months of winter when I longer ski, and having only 4 hours of daylight in the darkest part of the afore-mentioned 7 months of winter. I worked as a commercial pilot in Alaska and saw much of the beauty of the state, but 45 years was enough.

I can heartily recommend going there in the summer, since you go home with great memories but you're not stuck there for more than a few weeks. :)

Megan

"The horse you get off is not the horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better."

Anonymous

• 07-06-2011 4:47 AM In reply to

WOOT... 16 days till ES takes Chicago by storm and 

20 days till my surgery!!!!!!

If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you to. (author unknown)
  • 07-06-2011 5:56 AM In reply to

LOL now you got it JG! ahahahaWink 

• Yes

~horses don't lie~ ss

"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion" R.W. Emerson
  • 07-06-2011 7:09 AM In reply to

Oh yeah, I put an update pic on my thread about Brat's leg.

If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you to. (author unknown)
  • 07-12-2011 12:29 PM In reply to

10 days and 14 days!!!! can't go fast enough!!!!

• 07-15-2011 6:49 AM In reply to

Yaaaahooooo! Plans are brewing . . .

~horses don't lie~ ss

"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion" R.W. Emerson
  • 07-16-2011 5:27 AM In reply to

6 and 10 days baby!!!!!! Can't wait for both!!!!

Day one of fair over.  phew. lol  only 5 to go..  So far the horse and kid are behaving.  I have to work today and I"m almost greatful. lol.  My dear loving mom is in charge of getting the the kid to the fair grounds so he can take care of his horse this morning and have a group workout.  Then she gets the joy of taking 3 teenage boys to the grocery store lol.

Yeah.. Crying  my baby is a teenager today... LeSigh... I feel old *side note* hair stylist is coming out to color my gray patch... lol

ok, off to work, hopefully I can get some chat time today.  If not, catch ya all later in the week.  I know I won't be in much till then.  

H shows Monday and Tuesday.  Halter, showmanship and western pleasure Monday, then english and speed on Tuesday.  LOL, yes, he is taking Brat in the speed classes.  I will have pics of course.. oh.. glad I said something.  need to charge my camera batteries!!!

• 07-17-2011 12:29 PM In reply to

I finally got a vacation

I finally got a real vacation.  Went with a group (similar to this one, only all local) of local horse peeps, and a good friend who also joined the group, and went to the ocean.  Did I mention that Sassy hates riding in the trailer....  She was a pretty good sport, and was great on the beach.  Our one faux pas was not her fault, it was mine, and I did bite the sand on our last day.  She looked like she felt bad, and didn't leave me, so I still count her as a good girl.  Pics are here...  http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c245/jmoon111/Ocean%20Acres%202011/

4 glorious days of horses sun and sand....  it was superfantabulosoriffic.....  Not enough words to say how extremely fabulous it was. 

Janice

Bread may feed my body, but my horse feeds my soul.
  • 07-17-2011 4:33 PM In reply to

Re: I finally got a vacation

Hey Strangers...

Only been on FB recent months.  Long story short... been in a major funk since losing Bridget, moving back from Texas, etc.  Sorry I just kind of detached myself from horse-related things.  On the bright side, I was able to attend a roping/show last week without crying.  It's odd how the whole arena atmosphere and smells brings back memories so vividly.  While we were in Texas I attended a bull-riding event of all things, not even remotely horse related, but it was really, really hard.

There is a bright spot possibly on the horizon... I've decided to look for a new horse (colt this time; no more temptation to breed).  I've got one located out-of-state, and for those of you who do Off The Wall on FB I've posted some pictures.  I'm particularly interested in critiques of the rear legs from the rear.  Other photos I've seen from him in the pasture don't look so turned out, so I'm hoping he's just standing weird.  I'm going to call the ranch tomorrow for more photos.  Pictures are on my iphone, that's not tied into this computer, so for now no ability to post them on here. 

Anyway... his grand-sire is Boonlight Dancer who, for those of you not into the reining/cutting, is the offspring of a Petoboonsmal stud and a Smart Lil Lena Mare, if I remember correctly.  That's the stud I'd wanted to breed Bridget to, but didn't because they wouldn't ship semen.  He was foaled this last April, and will be ready to come home with me this September (AROUND MY B-DAY)...lol.  There are other foals from this sire on the ranch, and also some decent looking ranch horses, so I may just have to take a trip to see them personally instead of sending a horse-knowlegeable friend.... although it's not very convenient right now for a variety of reasons.  Haven't yet located any of interest near home and in my affordability range.  This may be the case, or may not, but I wonder if a horse bred and raised in a ranch environment, rather than cooped up in a stall with it's dam, might just be a heartier horse?  Seems logical, if not reality?

I know there have been some ups and downs in all your lives.... Again... sorry I've been uninvolved.  I really, really need a new horse for my soul.  I figure I'm in my 50's and won't be wanting to get on any more young horses before too long!  I really need a good one to grow old with!!! 

I'll try to become more involved.  Hey to everyone!!!

• 07-19-2011 3:43 AM In reply to

day one of showing over and my kid and his horse come away with First in their halter class 2nd year in a row.  3rd in showmanship and 3rd in his western pleasure class!! Very proud as it was 100*+ heat index yesterday and they were both only slightly cranky.  lol.  

Today is the 2nd and last day.  Thank God.  It's supposed to be hotter today.  [;(]  

Ug, time to get the kid up and head that way.  I'll have pics later on.  

• 07-19-2011 8:21 AM In reply to

No one is in chat so here I am forced to post.

Congrats to H on his showing abilities, JG!!  Should do you proud on both horse and son!  But what a horrible hot week to do this in.

Glad to see you again Lucy (Bridget's Mom) - haha - you have SO many names.  I hope the new horse adventure goes well for you - don't let your DH pressure you into any more sales!  LOL!

Most of you know we have sold both horses  and are now horseless. I have avoided being here because it is very weird to come to the forum and this thread because of that so I have gone MIA. Blue and Surprise both sold MUCH faster than I expected but they both went to good homes and the new owners are pleased.  It has been tough - but what with college expenses starting up this month this is the way it has to be. DD is continuing to ride at the barn where she boarded Surprise.  She is half leasing a big Oldenburg and continues to work on jumping.  She is also grabbing rides on any horse offered to her.  And she works at the barn on weekends - horse turn out, mucking, water buckets, feeding etc etc. She trades for her lessons...works for me :)She doesn't have a horse really trusts (like she trusted Surprise) so shows apparently are not happening this summer.  DD still plans to try out for the equestrian team at the university.

We had a short family vacation - darn kids with schedules of their own cut that short. DS wanted to go on a 3 day dive trip to Ohio and DD HAD to see the midnight premier of Harry Potter.  Whatever, as it actually worked out well in this case...read on to understand.  We enjoyed a nice trip to the UP (Upper Peninsula).  Love love love how few people there are, tiny towns, open easy roads and not endless amounts of driving like when we go out west.  Anyway, we did a good bit of hiking in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore - gorgeous but cold beaches on Lake Superior.  We bought large amounts of smoked trout, salmon and whitefish - that is tasty eating and we can generally only find it up north.  On the way south we stopped over night at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore -had a great time climbing the dune - hiking in the sand, not so much.  Way more people there than in the UP but we managed.

A huge storm came through town while we were on vacation and did a fair bit of damage in the neighborhood.  Our block is full of 80 year old, 100 foot tall oaks - a good number of them came down in the storm - either in total or dropping huge limbs.  Trees went through several houses - our next door neighbors can't live in their house at the moment due to damage.  Part of their roof is gone, trusses are cracked and they have enough wood in their yard to supply a lumber mill for a month. No one was hurt - they were smart enough to hide in the basement.  We had "minor damage" to the pool and fence - of course from neighbor trees and not our own :(.   Pool company has been out and done repairs, fencing and tree companies have  come to give repair estimates and the insurance adjustor has come to see the damage.  This will cost several thousand dollars - yippee! NOT!  I am ready to move to a treeless enighborhood.  On the good side, bless several of the neighbors who saw the humongous tree limb that fell in the pool and smashed the fence and equipment - they all got together and spent hours removing the limbs and trunks. We were remote enough on vacation we had no cell phone reception so got all this info in bits and pieces. Teenage boys thought it was great fun to hold their breathe and saw away under water. They all went out for margaritas together afterward. Yes Drinks Now that the pool is working and clean again  (that took me hours of vacuuming) everyone spent the sunny weekend afternoons here. :)  Neighbor across the street had 5 big oaks go down - luckily all away from his house, damaging nothing as they went.  Still and all I would say it continues to be a forest in this area - and we have been darn lucky all these years!  Nonetheless I am wanting to divert tuition money and have some of these killer trees cleared out.

When I count my blessings, I count my horse twice!

• 07-19-2011 8:36 AM In reply to

Pictures of the damage  to our pool and fence.  Seems there are no perfect places to live - RC has flash floods and fires, awful hot where Solo and Fh are, wet for Lune,  porr economies for Bucks and Lucy...

This is what went down next door smashing their house - have no idea how they got these trunks to the front yard. And the backyards  of the two house that had these trees go down, still have this much in them.

When I count my blessings, I count my horse twice!

• 07-20-2011 6:12 AM In reply to

Whoa, SH, that is a lot of stuff!  But glad y'all are ok!  I know you miss your horses but we still want you!!  Right Hug

Solaris -- 16 hh Appendix Quarter Horse = MY DREAM COME TRUE!
    We Are Flying Solo
  • 07-20-2011 10:41 AM In reply to

Hey gang!  I'm baa aack...   We had a great time although it was tooo long.  I will never go away for more than 10 days again.

SH, what a great family vacation and congrats on the horses selling so quickly.  Hard to do nowadays.  And wow, what a mess you came home to!  Aren't you glad you weren't home and that you have such nice neighbors!  

I have some amazing pictures but it will take me a while to sort everything.  We did whale watching and saw up close and personal humpbacks and orcas.  Saw a bear from a distance and lots of other things.  We hiked, kayaked, did a float trip and of course went horseback riding.  I have 2 new cabana boys from the cruise ship and I gained 5 pounds.  All in all a great time.  

Cookie came up very lame the moring we were leaving so I had to put him in the capable hands of a stable hand that had been doing some chores for me.  Turned out to be an abcess which took a lot of draining, soaking, wrapping, etc and added quite a bit to my vacation costs!   He is doing well now and it looks like that abcess had been in there for a while.  No puncture, no bruising but you can see a slight bulge and ripples in the hoof wall that shows it had been there for some time before it blew up so badly.  Poor cookie must be feeling so much better!

Lucy!  So glad to hear from you, and yes, you need a new horse!

"It's easier to fly if you take yourself lightly."

Page 874 of 932 (13974 items) « First ... < Previous 872 873 874 875 876 Next > ... Last »
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.