Previcox for horse's arthritis pain?

Last post 12-17-2011 9:38 AM by soleksa. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 10-21-2010 10:57 PM

Previcox for horse's arthritis pain?

I'm looking for something more long tearm for my horses arthritis pain. I've been reading up on the Previcox, (the dog version of firocoxib) and it looks pretty promising. I would rather not have her on anyting if possible. Ive tried all the other joing supplements in the appropriate amounts, and they don't seem to do much if anything for her. Hock injections are cost prohibitive at this time, and when we did inject one about 3 years ago, it didn't seem to do much help to her.

Any opinions or people with experiance with using this med?

• 10-22-2010 10:08 AM In reply to

Re: Previcox for horse's arthritis pain?

Well, there's a rub-on medication for arthritis in horses......I don't have the name of it on this computer.  When I get onto the other computer I'll find it and post it.  You're supposed to just rub it into the sore areas and it helps prevent soreness.  My friend uses it on the hocks of her arthritic horse and she says it works better than supplements, plus is a little bit cheaper.

"99.9% of horse problems come from either a lack of respect or fear--or both." ~Clinton Anderson
  • 10-22-2010 10:01 PM In reply to

Reining_Lover:
    Well, there's a rub-on medication for arthritis in horses......I don't have the name of it on this computer.

It's Surpass and, yes it does work well. However, it's over $50 a tube and, since it's a topical, it only treats the areas where you apply it. For short-term use, it's great; however, for longterm use it might be cost-prohibitive.

As far as Previcoxx goes -- why not try Equioxx? It's the equine version of firocoxib. I used it on my 23 year-old TB gelding, in addition to front coffin joint injections, weekly Pentosan IM injections for a month, and Conquer HA gel. The combination of those four treatments made him much more comfortable, but I started them all at pretty much the same time, so it's difficult to pinpoint exactly what worked (or if it was just the combination of everything).

Although, I have to admit that Equioxx is not cheap, either -- it's around $8 or $9 per tube. I'm not sure if the Previcoxx pills would be any cheaper or how effective they would be. I did use Previcoxx for my dog when she was first diagnosed with osteosarcoma, but I don't recall how much it costs. Just remember, with any NSAID, you run the risk of ulcers and digestive upset.

Have you tried any of the injectables? I'm not talking about straight joint injections, but Adequan, Legend, and Pentosan. Those would probably be your best starting point.

• 10-23-2010 8:44 AM In reply to

Frizzle:

It's Surpass and, yes it does work well. However, it's over $50 a tube and, since it's a topical, it only treats the areas where you apply it. For short-term use, it's great; however, for longterm use it might be cost-prohibitive.

That's actually not the one my friend recommended; here's the site:  http://www.shop.horseholistics.com/product.sc?productId=36  This stuff is $40 a tube, natural (as far as I can tell), like said my friend says it works well, but, like Frizzle said, it only treats the areas where you apply it, so if your horse has arthritis in several different areas it may not be practical.  I'm not sure how long one tube would last, either.

"99.9% of horse problems come from either a lack of respect or fear--or both." ~Clinton Anderson
  • 10-23-2010 7:38 PM In reply to

I would agree that going with Adequan or Legends really is your best bet.  Nothing that works is cheap, unfortunately.

Solaris -- 16 hh Appendix Quarter Horse = MY DREAM COME TRUE!
    We Are Flying Solo
  • 10-26-2010 11:22 PM In reply to

Thanks guys. As she's retired, and I would just like her pasture sound, I really don't know what to do. I wish money wasn't an option, and I've done the hock Injection with her and it just didn't seem like it really lasted all that long/ did that much good. I will have to stop and talk to the vet and see what she thinks. Thanks for your input!

• 10-27-2010 1:37 PM In reply to

I just wanted to let you know that I saw this discussed on another forum and someone mentioned that Previcox is much cheaper than Equioxx and works well. But, yes, I would talk to your vet about it and see what she thinks. Also ask her about the injectables (I would personally do Legend or Pentosan, as the loading period of Adequan can get very expensive). Good luck!

• 10-27-2010 10:41 PM In reply to

Yeah, I also don't want to have to syringe my horse every day. Feeding one tablet a day as a treat I think would be better for her. I will ask about the other injectibles. I just wish this poor mare hadn't been used as a baby factory all her life ;-(

• 11-13-2011 5:26 PM In reply to

I have been using Preivox for 2 months and my horse is a new animal plus its affordable. The problem is the big companies want you to use Equiox paste at about $8.00 a day. Previcox is about $.60 cents, yes cents a day-you give your horse 1/4 of the pill that is given to dogs. The 227mg pill. Not sure why a horse only needs that small amount once a day...but I don't care. My horse has limped for 2 years. She is 35 and not ridden anymore but likes to walk the pasture which is about 4 acres. Since I am using this, she canters and whinnies like a young horse. I love it. Best thing I ever tried. I tried everything else, supplements and the $$ added up. I was actually thinking of putting her down and this was the last item to try....thanks to the Vet for allowing me to try it..Hope this helps everyone who might try it. It is light on the stomach and kidneys too. No more injections, but I do have her on Red Cell liquid Vitamins which I love also. Keeps her coat beautiful. And both of these are reasonable considering the alternative things I was using.  So Good Luck.

• 11-13-2011 7:02 PM In reply to

I recently ran across a note of interest in my research. Previcox is good for avoiding ulcers short term but neither Bute or Previcox is good long term. 

There's something else that may interest you. It's called Move-Ease (mybesthorse.com) I've been watching this product for some time and its getting rave reviews. It's also for inflammation of arthritis. What I'm seeing it being used for is permanent soft tissue damage in IR/Cushingoid horses that suffer fall and winter laminitis, past founders etc. Its holistic and termed "Proprietary Blend" ,which means you're not going to find out what's in it. But its showing excellent results with this group and my teacher gave it the nod, which is good enough for me right there. This product was developed by a fellow student, backed by a university and is on the cutting edge of research for Cushings. Do give it some serious consideration. I think you'll like the price of it too. 

• 11-13-2011 8:31 PM In reply to

I used previcox and it worked very well. Please be cautious because it is very very potent. My vet wanted me to use half a pill, but I found a quarter of a pill was sufficient. Horses take a smaller dose than dogs.

• 12-11-2011 8:59 PM In reply to

I have been using Previcox for about 4 months now for my 18 year old gelding. He has navicular, rig bone and a bone spur.. I have had the naviculars and bursars injected twice. The first time i used the Previcox only when he seemed to need it. After the second set of injections I use it regularly. The Previcox has done wonders. It is not the same as bute. It does not cause any damage ton the liver or kidneys or cause any ulcers. He eats them out of my hand. I highly recommend them. He doesn't limp and is so much happier.
  • 12-13-2011 11:51 AM In reply to

I haven't had the opportunity to use Previcox myself and I'm so glad to see that it gets a favourable response and seems to take you farther down the road more safely than Bute. It certainly would be a pain to spend a lot of money, just find that horse doesn't like it and won't co-operate. This sounds like just the ticket. I'm glad I continued to follow this thread....thanks guys. I'm glad to hear its working well!Big Smile
  • 12-16-2011 6:34 PM In reply to

Im glad this thread poped back up. My 15ish year old EMS, lamanetic horse horse is having joint issues this winter. I bookmarked that arthritis supp.

• 12-17-2011 9:38 AM In reply to

After re reading my response, I realized that I didn't mention that my gedling also has pretty bad degenerative joint disease.  He started with it at the age of six so I have been through some pretty trying times with him. Love the Previcox.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.