Thinking of buying a Wintec Isabell Werth

Last post 03-27-2011 1:21 PM by crittergirl. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 03-24-2011 7:38 AM

Thinking of buying a Wintec Isabell Werth

I just took a lesson in the older model Isabell, and I absolutely loved it. My leg (which has a tendency to come forward) stayed in perfect alignment, and it was so grippy and comfortable. I need a new dressage saddle, but I'm not willing to shell out the $1299 for a brand new model (well, my husband isn't willing to let me shell that much out, anyway). I can't seem to find any reviews that compare the previous Isabell model to the new model--does anyone know the major difference? Will I be just as happy in the older model, or should I wait and look for used versions of the newer model? Btw, I'm 5'2" with a 30" inseam, petite build, and I ride a high-withered, narrow-sided OTTB. 

• 03-24-2011 8:10 AM In reply to

Re: Thinking of buying a Wintec Isabell Werth

I will tell you my experience with the Wintecs and changeable gullet saddles (I had two, still have one) -- the major design flaw is the short tree points on the gullet plate.  It just doesn't distribute weight properly on the horse so you ned up with soreness and pressure behind the withers.  Despite the efforts of multiple fitters and the comfiness of the saddle, it's got to go if it hurts the horse!  So I would recommend something else -- both Thoroughgood and Tekna make good synthetics with longer tree points.

Solaris -- 16 hh Appendix Quarter Horse = MY DREAM COME TRUE!
    We Are Flying Solo
  • 03-24-2011 9:02 AM In reply to

Thanks--no one has ever mentioned that flaw before. Is that something they've looked at with the newer models? I haven't looked into the Thoroughgood dressage models, and I've never heard of Tekna--I'll check them out.

Thanks!

• 03-24-2011 10:34 AM In reply to

Yes, and actually the newer models fit many horses worse than the old ones.  But the gullet plates are the same and I have the same problem with my Collegiate (which uses the same plates).

Solaris -- 16 hh Appendix Quarter Horse = MY DREAM COME TRUE!
    We Are Flying Solo
  • 03-24-2011 2:01 PM In reply to

Like every other brand of saddle, some horses it fits, some horses it doesn't. I have a TB mare, and the wintecs fit her quite nicely. The gullet sets make them more versatile, but still not guaranteed to fit every horse. I have used my 500 AP with the EW gullet in it on several several-hour long trail rides on a tubby little App as well. It just so happens that my TB and my friend's App are comfortable in the wintec tree (and both, though the App especially, are very loud about their opinions on comfort).
    If there is a tack shop in your area, I would rec trailering your horse to the shop and trying on saddles the same way you would try on pants. If not, most major websites have some sort of a demo option to see if the Isabel fits your horse. 
    I personally love synthetic saddles, but I am less than impressed by the Thorowgoods that I have seen, and find the Wintecs to be a much better quality, however, I have not had any experience with the tekna saddles. Also, I like the more mid-range wintecs. Not the original, older styles, but not the super new saddles either. I would like a slightly used one, and prefer the Pro (I think the one Solo had??) over the Isabel for some reason.

Mojo, 1980?-10/1/2010. RIP Mo-man. I know your life had many bad times in it, and I sincerely hope I made your last few years here on Earth happy and comfortable, with as much love and yummies as your huge heart desired. I love you bud, have fun running in the pastures of heaven. Until we meet again...
  • 03-25-2011 8:14 AM In reply to

Thanks for the input. If there was a tack shop within 100 miles, I'd trailer Johnny there, but here in lovely north Central Arkansas, the closest tack shop with saddles is in Memphis, and it's a 2 hour drive without pulling a trailer. I thought about doing the demo rides--it may be what I have to do. My big issue is my short legs--I really need a custom saddle, but we'll look into that when I hit Grand Prix (not in this lifetime, lol).

Any particular reason why you lean more towards the Pro versus the Isabell?

• 03-27-2011 1:21 PM In reply to

I think I liked the pro better because my position did not feel as locked in as it did in the Isabel. Which I think is what you liked? Very much a personal preference! I can't speak on the short leg issue, I am 5'9", but wintecs are very versatile!!
    I don't have a tack shop by me either. It is tough living in the boonies!

Mojo, 1980?-10/1/2010. RIP Mo-man. I know your life had many bad times in it, and I sincerely hope I made your last few years here on Earth happy and comfortable, with as much love and yummies as your huge heart desired. I love you bud, have fun running in the pastures of heaven. Until we meet again...

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.