Can a horse overdose on psyllium?

Last post 04-21-2011 11:46 PM by hopeinjamul. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 04-21-2011 11:46 PM

Can a horse overdose on psyllium?

I left out a new large bucket of psyllium while I'm out of town as a reminder to my husband to give each horse (4) one scoop per day for a week just in case they're stockpiling any sand internally.  Hasn't been an issue, but we brought in sandbags this winter and over time they've damaged them enough that some of the sand is now on the ground where their feed buckets are.  Anyway, so I have this huge bucket of "Sand Rid" psyllium, like the size of 5 gallon paint container.  I thought I had it sealed nice and tight and blocked in such a manner that the horses wouldn't screw with it.  Plus I put a scoop in each bucket this morning and they all pretty much ate around the psyllium pellets, obviously not impressed with the flavor, or lack thereof.  Husband informs me tonight he came home, the container had been knocked over, and all contents gone!  I told him to notify our vet in case this is a potential emergency.  Vet indicated probably not.  I'm just wondering if anyone has information to share regarding ingestion of too much psyllium and possible side effects.  Thanks! 

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.