Lameness from Bad Trim?

Last post 05-12-2012 10:28 AM by 48northfarm. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 04-29-2011 9:24 AM In reply to

Re: Lameness from Bad Trim?

BoyleHeightsKid:

Yeah...I think I'm going to pick one of those up just to have... 

I did the same thing. All of my girls have one of the proper size for them sitting in my tack room, just in case. I don't want to have to wait for shipping if they needed one. A nearby farrier carries them, but I'm not assured of him having the right size at the right time so I got one for everyone. Juno has 2 of the #3s: one for her lightly bandaged LF and one for her normal RF. When her bandages were heavier she wore a #4, but since she was on paddock rest then she didn't need one for her normal hoof.
    Megan

"The horse you get off is not the horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better."

Anonymous

• 04-29-2011 11:13 AM In reply to

BoyleHeightsKid:

Look for a CERTIFIED farrier, someone who went to school and passed a test, not some backyard yahoo that throws a rasp, nails, hammer and a few shoes in the back of the truck.  Things like this really get me worked up because ANYONE can slap a sign on their truck, order some business cards and call themselves a farrier.  A good, certified farrier might be more expensive, but they are worth their weight in gold.  You say this guy was inexpensive, but how much are you going to have to spend with the vet now?  Not to mention Digger's suffering, your worrying and loss of riding time.  A good farrier will help keep your horse sound longer with less trips to the vet. 

Lot's of good suggestions here.  

I just wanted to comment on the above part of the post.  Even certified farriers can still be screw balls.  I've only ever had "certified" farriers work on my horses in the 16 years I've had them.  1 was great.  1 was good, the rest were mediocre at best.  ALL were certified.  

I have since learned to trim mine myself.  I have also since, found another great farrier that if I need something more then I can do I call him.  

Just cause they have a certificate with their name on it, doesn't mean they are worth a lick.  

If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you to. (author unknown)
  • 06-28-2011 12:56 PM In reply to

So I have a new farrier coming out on Friday! I used him at my old barn, and the BO has told me that the reason she continues to use him, even though he is pretty young and inexperienced, is that he has, "never made a mistake, never made my horses sore."  He did Digger I think once before I moved him. He is very inexpensive and willing to be at the barn when I am there so we can talk about Digger's feet.  My BO will be out of town so no worries there this first visit. I'm very excited! I've been super gun shy about even having him trimmed since he got SO sore last time from getting trimmed waaaaay too short. My BO pleaded with me to talk it over with the barn's current farrier, but for my own peace of mind I just cannot risk it. Thanks again for everyone's help!
  • 06-28-2011 2:42 PM In reply to

FCP, can you post some pics of Digger's hooves?

I'm glad you've found someone who has done a decent job on Digger in the past. :-) I do, however, suggest you look into finding someone who has been specifically trained in barefoot trimming. This has made all the difference in the world with Salem. When I had my old farrier trim him, his hooves flared, chipped and cracked because he was just getting a pasture trim. Now I have a trimmer who graduated from the Oregon School of Natural Hoofcare and she does the best, most balanced trim I've ever seen.

• 05-12-2012 9:31 AM In reply to

Hello, My horse, was trimmed and shod in front feet May 5th, . My farrier, who is also a VET, Did the first shoeing perfect. This time, he took so much off her heel, and SHE ALSO IS A 1/2 INCH shorter than the other foot! My baby is LAME and having much trouble walking without wincing every step. Her back feet, which is barefoot, he took so much heel off, her soft tissue and coronary band is 1/4 inch from touching the ground!. I am so pissed and very hurt! My horse is now laid up. I'm afraid she might founder as her feet are getting warm and its not getting better. I measured her hoofs and angels, each side is horribly uneven. Should I pull the shoe and put a boot? I think the shoe itself is pinching, along with unbalanced, too short, and not sure what to do. HE wants to put pads and shoes on the back, But I'm NOT letting him ever touch my horse! HE recommended for me to give 4 GRAMS of bute! I won't do it. 
  • 05-12-2012 10:28 AM In reply to

Can you get another farrier to look at your horse? A better farrier? Or another, better vet? Don't try to fix it by yourself if you have other sources. Even if you need to get another farrier/vet from somewhere else--or you have to haul her somewhere--that's better than relying on yourself or a forum.

Get recommendations from several people about who you can trust, and never use the farrier who wrecked your mare's hooves. I'm thinking that if your mare is trimmed too short, pulling the shoes will leave her bare feet so sore that even the ground will hurt. At least the shoes will keep her off the ground will she grows out. You say that you think the shoes are too tight, but until a good farrier can look at them, don't rely on your instinct. You're not a farrier.

It sounds like your mare needs some help ASAP. Get off the computer, get on the phone, and start calling some good vets.  
    Megan

"The horse you get off is not the horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better."

Anonymous

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.