Foal Color

Last post 07-23-2011 3:11 PM by Scout's Mom. 29 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 06-23-2011 6:22 AM In reply to

Re: Foal Color

Thank you I will check that out.

My vet came today to check him over and do a blood colostrum check because he arrived 6 days early. the colostrum tested 800 which is top of line so that was good but, he also has a heart murmur. I am very concerned about this. The vet said that a lot of times it heals and goes away with in a month but if it doesn't they usually go into heart failure around the age of 2!

Sharon
  • 06-23-2011 7:14 AM In reply to

The baby is really so coo and the color is awesome.I have never seen like that.

• 06-23-2011 7:24 AM In reply to

Ive never seen the color either, I have been doing a lot of internet searches and what keeps coming up for his color is dunskin or silver dunskin. I guess the silver dunskin is quite rare. I guess only time will tell but when he sheds out I will post for everyone to see what he ends up being.

Sharon
  • 06-23-2011 7:32 AM In reply to

On the site link you suggested and with the info I have on the Sire and my mare it comes up most likely to be a silver Dunskin. That would be beautiful. So only time will tell for sure though. will post pic's after he starts shedding out.

thank you for all your help.

Sharon
  • 06-23-2011 7:38 AM In reply to

Oh no! I know how a diagnosis like that can make you crazy with worry!  I am sure he will be fine!  Just keep an eye on him and have the vet back out in a month or two.  Sometimes breeding can be so stressful! The baby at my barn had to have a blood transfusion when he was just 2 days old and has managed to injure himself twice.  At two weeks ( a particularly willful age) we had to wash and wrap an injury on his foot every day.  It was a nightmare!  He is happy and healthy and HUGE now, at 4 months!
  • 06-23-2011 8:54 AM In reply to

Yes the vet will be back in a month for sure. this little guy and my mare has had a rough start before he was even born. To start I had the mare A.I.'d last May, she was confirmed in foal, 6 weeks later she colic'd. Had her ultrasounded and she had reobsorbed the fetus. Had her A.I.'d again in July , this time it stuck. Ultra sounded again 6 weeks later and she was carrying twins. Waited a few more weeks and took her in to have one removed but she had already obsorbed one of them so that was a good thing. Six months later I found her in her stall in shock, a wound on her side and running a temp. She had some how broken a board off the side of the stall and impelled herself on it. I think the horse boarded next to her kicked the wall and broke the board into her stall. She was at OSU for 2 weeks on antibiotics, drain tubes, surgeries removing pieces of wood from her side. It's a miracle we didn't loose her and the foal. She was on the antibiotics for 4 more weeks after she came home. The vet said I was very lucky he was born so healthy but now I am wondering if all the trama and drugs the mare was on has created his heart problem. Thats why the vet wanted to do a colotrum check, to make sure she was producing healthy milk.

Well we shall see in a month if  the murmur is gone or not. I am saying my prayers every day that he will heal.

Sharon
  • 06-23-2011 10:18 AM In reply to

I will keep you in my thoughts! Keep us updated! Ugh, I know, every time I get a phone call from my BO I start to panic and wonder what has happened.  I think it was Solo who said horses are suicide machines, so true! Why do we do it to ourselves?! 
  • 06-25-2011 1:54 AM In reply to

how stressful.  i wish you the best of luck with your baby. 

sending prayers your way.........Angel

Gailforce -- Another old lady rediscovering her inner cowgirl.
  • 06-25-2011 7:58 AM In reply to

Megan,

Actually IN CERTAIN COLORS, the eye color changes in the first year. Most prominent color for this is Champagne, although I think that the dilute gene that causes the champagne color also causes this. Since I only experienced it with Mystic, who was champagne. His eyes were blue the first yr and changed to amber color by the second yr. There may be other colors that subject to eye color change that I am not aware of. Might also be caused by the creme gene possibly as well, since Mystic had both genes.

Frank

48northfarm:
    I'm not a color expert, but I would think that eye color is not going to change. Coat color changes as new hair replaces old, but I'm pretty sure that old cornea cells are not going to be replaced by new cells.

ETA: It appears you figured out how to post pictures. That FAQ topic tells you how to do a bunch of stuff.
  • 06-27-2011 12:58 AM In reply to

He is some form of a Dun if he has dun factor, (dorsal, shoulder patch, leg barring) buckskins don't have dun factor (no dorsal). :)

"You wish you could ride like a girl."
  • 06-28-2011 11:40 AM In reply to

Thank you so much, It is very stressful, but tomarrow he goes to Oregon State University for Cat scan and we should know something then on how severe the murmur is and if anything can be done about it.

Sharon
  • 06-28-2011 12:35 PM In reply to

I'm joining in here a bit late in the discusion. First I want to say "congratulations"!! He's so cute and I love his color. I don't know much about how coat colors change, but eyes can change color (at lease in cats). All of our barn cats were born with blue-gray eyes and they changed to various shades of yellow & green. I've never seen it happen with horses, but I think maybe it can. Would be a question for the vet. I wish you all the best with his heart murmer. I hope there's something which can be done. I'll say a prayer for him.

• 07-09-2011 2:38 PM In reply to

sknickel:

Thank you so much, It is very stressful, but tomarrow he goes to Oregon State University for Cat scan and we should know something then on how severe the murmur is and if anything can be done about it.

Any news on his murmur? I hope they can do something they can do about it.
  • 07-10-2011 8:24 AM In reply to

Well he got the works done, blood test, ultrasound, echocardiogram, and cat scan. The hole is smaller than they first thought. Which is good. I don't really know a whole lot more right now. They want me to bring him back to Oregon State University when he is six months old and do another ultrasound on him to compare it with the first one. This will give them an idea on how things are jprogressing. They said that as he grows the heart will grow larger with his age of course and that could cause the hole to get smaller and possibly even close up. Or the hole could also grow larger as his heart does. So it is a waiting game right now. When he gets the next ultrasound it should tell us a lot. He seems very healthy now. He runs, jumps, kicks, bucks and plays like any other healthy foal and he is full of attitude just like his mother. Thank you for concerns. sharon
    Sharon
  • 07-23-2011 3:11 PM In reply to

I sure hope that the hole closes as his heart gets bigger. I've heard of this happening in people, so why not horses. From his behaviour you describe, he sounds pretty healthy right now. BTW, you and I share the same first name - Sharon Big Smile

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.