can someone please help me with setting up gymnastics!!??

Last post 07-22-2011 10:20 AM by Gigglez6611. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 07-20-2011 9:50 AM

can someone please help me with setting up gymnastics!!??

I need some very basic help with setting up gymnastic excersises. I would like to start with just three jumps, a cross rail, small single and small oxer. I have been looking online but I can't find anything thats helping me know how many of my strides to walk in between the jumps. I would really appreciate some help!!

~IN RIDING A HORSE, WE BORROW FREEDOM~
  • 07-20-2011 10:07 AM In reply to

Re: can someone please help me with setting up gymnastics!!??

to work on rider position:

x -9'- ] -18'- ]] canter in and through

to work on rider position and horse impulsion:

| -9'- x -9'- | -9'- x -9'- | -9'- x -9'- | canter in and through

|=pole, x=x-rail, ]=vertical, ]]=oxer

Katie

• 07-20-2011 10:23 AM In reply to

Yup, you should have 9' for every bounce step -- so if you have a placing pole out front, put it 9' in front of your xrail.  Then 18' if you are going to put one stride in before your vertical.  Then 19-20' before your oxer, horses often need a little more space to get their feet organized once they get moving forward.

Solaris -- 16 hh Appendix Quarter Horse = MY DREAM COME TRUE!
    We Are Flying Solo
  • 07-20-2011 10:40 AM In reply to

Great thank you! But is there a way to measure feet with my feet/ my walk stride? In other words, how many of my strides would equal 9'...i feel like one human stride is about 3 feet. does that make sense?

• 07-20-2011 11:31 AM In reply to

The most accurate way to do it is to measure the bottom of your boot.  I.e. the bottom of my boot is approximately 12" so I know if I put my feet heel to toe 9 times, that is 9'.  A human stride is "roughly" 3', but there is a huge amount of variation there, so I like measuring my shoes better, I usually get the distances pretty spot on that way.

We Are Flying Solo
  • 07-21-2011 6:12 AM In reply to

The length of your stride depends on the length of your legs and how you walk.  Depending on what's going on around you and how much of a hurry you are, the length of your stride will vary.   The spacing between jumps is usually in 12 foot increments, so measure out an area about 36 feet long, marking each 12 foot section, and walk it while counting your strides.  To do a 12 foot section, you would need 4 3 foot strides.  Practice walking your course until you figure out how the correct stride length feels when you hit each 12 foot mark.  Then you should be able to walk off distances for setting up jumps.

Spotted Pony

• 07-21-2011 1:51 PM In reply to

okay great thanks guys! also...what about trot pole distances ( 3-4 ground poles sequences) and a trot pole before a jump?

• 07-21-2011 6:37 PM In reply to

for a set of trot poles, you want 4.5-5 feet between each one, depending on your horse's step.  For a trot pole before a jump, I do 9 feet, same as a canter pole.

We Are Flying Solo
  • 07-22-2011 5:43 AM In reply to

I do trot poles 3'6" - 4' apart for multiple poles. Trot pole to jump, I treat as a placement pole 6' out. Just a diff take on it.

Katie

• 07-22-2011 10:20 AM In reply to

I don't know that much about gymnastics and stuff like that because i don't own a horse and have no where to ride but i do know a book that i think u might find very useful. it's called jump with joy. here's a link to it on amazon.
    hope this helps a little.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.