Dressage/Mane Question

Last post 10-17-2011 4:54 AM by spragueme. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 10-12-2011 4:36 PM

Dressage/Mane Question

I know it's against the rules to use ribbons or flowers in the mane, but what about a (draft) mane roll? Is it OK if it matches the color of the mane, but not if it's done in colors? I'd want to roll the whole mane, so it looks more like a running/french braid.

I have a black Percheron cross, and have been trying to decide what to do w/ his mane for shows. It is very wide, but also coarse and spikey - currently about 4 inches long. I'd consider roaching (he has a great neck), but I'm not sure exactly how (and have never used clippers on anything -  guess I need to learn, lol).

I won't be showing him until next spring - he's only 4. And even then just at schooling shows.

• 10-12-2011 6:09 PM In reply to

Re: Dressage/Mane Question

At a schooling show, you will be fine with anything that is neat and out of the way so the judge can see the majority of the horse's neck.

Roaching is very easy, you just run the clippers up their neck.  :-D  I would suggest playing with it this winter -- it grows back in quickly, especially if they are on a hoof supplement, so you can experiment with different lengths.  I usually do the bulk cutting with scissors and then touch it up and finish it with clippers.  It just takes practice - don't be afraid, hair grows back just fine.

Solaris -- 16 hh Appendix Quarter Horse = MY DREAM COME TRUE!
    We Are Flying Solo
  • 10-12-2011 7:06 PM In reply to

Try Googling your question. I'd bet there are grooming sites that can answer. I suspect that if traditional French braids are fine for Iberian horses, a roll would be fine since that is traditional for Drafts. But that's just a guess.
    Megan

"The horse you get off is not the horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better."

Anonymous

• 10-13-2011 8:18 AM In reply to

Solaris:
    Roaching is very easy, you just run the clippers up their neck. 

Well, it would be if I had ever used clippers! I've never used them on anything, let alone on a 4 year old gelding, lol. I rode a pony that had a roached (and then grown out a bit) mane last year, but I touched him up w/ scissors. I've always used scissors for ear, whiskers, bridle path, even some mane trimming. (I flip the mane to the "wrong" side and cut to the length I want before pulling on most neglected school horse manes, since I don't have my own thinning shears.)

I more afraid of doing something "bad" to the horse's attitude/training than to his hair.

And as for the roach, I'd love it to be not all the same/not down to the skin, like this horse -

• 10-13-2011 8:27 AM In reply to

Googling is what got my in trouble in the first place, lol. I've seen driving horses w/ the roll and feathers/flowers, but hadn't thought of doing just the roll (and rolling the whole mane) for a riding horse.

Traditional french braids don't include any fabric. The mane roll, to me looks suspiciously like "ribbons" which are specifically not allowed by the USDF rules. I've found sites (mostly forums, mostly a few years old) that discussed it, but no one had an answer.

I was guessing that perhaps a black roll in a black mane would look close enough to just mane, that it might be OK. Or the fact that this is for a schooling show (and wa-a-ay in the future, lol) means it doesn't really matter.

• 10-13-2011 8:31 AM In reply to

I found this when I Googled "mane roll for dressage":http://www.ultimatedressage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=214091 It's got pics, too. In one the horse looks like it has a running braid. I'm not familiar with a mane roll, so I don't know if that horse has a roll rather than a French braid. One person said that her trainer does button braids on both sides for a draft cross.
    Megan

"The horse you get off is not the horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better."

Anonymous

• 10-13-2011 9:06 AM In reply to

Interesting. That horse looks a lot like Sailor. Picture him w/ white socks to his knees and it's him (but he doesn't ever look as unfriendly as those first pics, lol). Oh, and Sailor has a lovely full, wavy tail.

His mane is a bit shorter/thinner, but it's really poofy. And I suck at button braids, lol. Which is why I was looking for an alternative. I'm not sure his hair will hold a running braid (even if I do it closer to the neck than most people do).

Back to that site to read more...

• 10-13-2011 11:57 AM In reply to

You said his mane is about 4"? I'd bet he can hold a French braid at 4", and you certainly have time to grow more mane if he won't show until spring. Just do the braid very close to the crest. That's the way they're supposed to be done, though some people like them longer. People do not leave French braids in place very long, so don't expect them to hold for overnight. Usually, the horse is braided right before warming up for the test, then unbraided after the test. I will be French braiding my Lusitano mare for her first test, and I plan to braid her right before it. The French braid is so easy to do--even for me, and I suck at standard braids--you only need about 10 mins, if that, to do an entire mane. Plus, it can be done with thick hair, no thinning needed

Try French braiding him now, see how it holds, and keep trying now and again as his mane grows and keep track of what length works well. I'm sure you will agree: the French braid is quite easy. I can't use a French braid for my CWB mare--I had to pay a braider to do button braids on her--but I will use a French braid on Athene.

FYI: I discovered that Canter's Mane and Tail de-tangling spray is NOT what you want to put on a mane if you intend to braid it any time in the next few days. The spray makes the mane SO slick that it won't hold a French braid at all, even with a mane that is 10" long.
    Megan

Anonymous

• 10-13-2011 1:00 PM In reply to

LOL - yeah, one of the things I read (during all this) was not to use leave in conditioner in the mane up to 4 days before the show! Someone recommended spray gel (or diluted hair gel) for the french braid (before braiding) to help it hold.And then a little spritz after, too.

I have arthritic fingers, so it can be a challenge to keep everything tight while braiding. I will definitely have to play with it, though.

• 10-14-2011 10:28 AM In reply to

Gotcha -- the pic is exactly how I do Solo's, more of a mohawk really.  You can do it with scissors, it just takes longer.  Just start cutting -- I cut in small sections, so I can go shorter if I want.  If you get it a little too short, don't worry, it will grow out in a couple weeks.  :-)  It's a learn-by-doing sort of thing.  

We Are Flying Solo
  • 10-14-2011 11:51 AM In reply to

LOL, now I'm upset that I'm going out of town for work! I'm leaving right from work and won't be back until next Friday. And the weather is even nice.

I supposed I should try the french braid first, just to see how well I do at it. Then take it out and cut every thing off, so there's plenty of time for it to grow back in!

Maybe I'll start a new fashion at the barn - we have 1 full- and 3 half-blood Percherons at the barn now. And Sailor is the only one not showing.

• 10-14-2011 6:26 PM In reply to

This is Solo's roach, all trimmed up for a horse trial.

We Are Flying Solo
  • 10-15-2011 3:58 AM In reply to

i think i'll roach my horse's mane.  he has rubbed the center out with his itchiness anyway.  it looks like crap.  thanks for the pics to get me focussed on that.
    Gailforce -- Another old lady rediscovering her inner cowgirl.
  • 10-15-2011 12:28 PM In reply to

No that I even ride Star, my Perch mare, but just for fun one day I played around with doing a running braid/french braid on her thick, coarse mane. Getting it even was tricky and of course, when I was done it looked lumpy and bumpy, but with practice it might have improved. Smile

• 10-16-2011 1:25 PM In reply to

I roached Salem's mane this summer and I LOVE it! He has such a thick, unruly mane with tons of cowlicks and it does not stay one one side, no matter what I do. The roach is the perfect solution--it looks neat and tidy and kinda rock-n-rollish. And, believe me, I am the worst person at hair maintenance and even *I* manage to keep it looking nice (and semi-even).

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.