Rider Fitness

Last post 10-31-2011 2:30 PM by schoolhorserider. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 10-29-2011 12:13 AM

Rider Fitness

I Have been taking lessons after a year of not and im really frustrated with my leg, i really need to strengthen it, and well im alway talking about getting in shape and what better motivation then riding. I figured what better time to start than winter cause well im a wimp and ride a lot less lol. Im just curious what everyone around here does as far as at home fitness to help with riding. 
    Btw i dont have internet at my own home but am watching on my phone to bad i cant reply on there but will respond asap :)
    I appreciate any advice
  • 10-29-2011 9:56 AM In reply to

Re: Rider Fitness

An injury this spring sent me to the PT clinic -- and now I am addicted to it.  PT really helps me to find the weak muscles, isolate them, and build them.  An exercise ball is great for situps and stabilization challenges and my core is approaching mega awesomeness.  We are working on my hips now, lots of leg lifts at weird angles and planks for the obliques.  I HATE exercise, so I keep it short and sweet.

Solaris -- 16 hh Appendix Quarter Horse = MY DREAM COME TRUE!
    We Are Flying Solo
  • 10-29-2011 12:43 PM In reply to

There are a lot of great articles about rider fitness on EquiSearch, which you can see here.

One in particular, Fixing Floppy Legs, may be helpful to you, since you mentioned you need to strenthen your leg. Hope you can read the article on your phone, or maybe check it Monday on your lunch hour (!)

Filed under:
  • 10-29-2011 8:21 PM In reply to

Thank you so much for the link! I copied and saved all of them to read when i dont have internet lol. They look like they have some great tips i cant wait to get started! Please keep the tips coming :)
  • 10-31-2011 3:22 AM In reply to

That's a great idea to print them out to read anytime.  Keep an eye out each month in the Dressage Today section of EquiSearch -- Heather Sansom writes a new Rider Fitness Tip each month.

I especially like the ones that are written for the older rider - I hate to admit it, but I'm not as limber as I used to be!

Filed under:
  • 10-31-2011 2:30 PM In reply to

Once upon a time, I heard someone recommend yoga and/or pilates as the best excercises for equestrians (and there's even a book called Yoga for the Equestrian). I believe it is still true.

Be careful about making one leg stronger than the other. Some times the weaker leg causes the issues, but it can also be the stronger leg (always tight on the horse - maybe even sending a stronger signal than the weak leg you are trying to use). This is why you also need to work on fell and flexibility as well.

The way I exercise most often is with my Wii, lol. There are the exercises that came w/ the Wii Fit, and a "game" I found called ExerBeat. A bit goofy, but it has all kinds of workouts - including boxing, karate, yoga, stretching, and 3 types of dance.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.