Guttural Pouch Tympany

Last post 12-02-2011 12:00 PM by DiamondLake. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 12-01-2011 2:54 PM

Guttural Pouch Tympany

My mom's horse has been almost definitely diagnosed with guttural pouch tympany (they just have to rules out strangles at MSU as a formality), and I was wondering how horses get it. I know there are articles about it in Equus about it, but I'm not sure if I have those issues. Anyone know?

• 12-01-2011 4:35 PM In reply to

Re: Guttural Pouch Tympany

I just Googled it, and the page I went to said the cause is not known.
    Megan

"The horse you get off is not the horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better."

Anonymous

• 12-01-2011 7:37 PM In reply to

From the Merck Veterinary Manual:

Guttural pouch tympany is observed in horses ranging from birth to 1 yr of age and is more common in fillies than in colts. The affected guttural pouch is distended with air and forms a characteristic nonpainful swelling in the parotid region. Breathing may become stertorous in severely affected animals. Tympany may result from inflammation or malformation of the pharyngeal orifice of the eustachian tube, which then acts as a one-way valve by allowing air to enter the pouch but preventing its return into the pharynx. Diagnosis is based on clinical signs and radiographic examination of the skull. Severely affected animals may develop a secondary empyema. Tympany is usually unilateral, but bilateral cases have been reported. Medical management with NSAID and antimicrobial therapy resolves the majority of cases due to upper respiratory tract inflammation. Surgical intervention is warranted in patients with malformation of the guttural pouch opening and involves fenestration of the membrane that separates the affected guttural pouch from the normal one. This provides a route for air in the abnormal guttural pouch to pass to the normal side and be expelled into the pharynx. The postoperative prognosis is good.

~FH
  • 12-02-2011 12:00 PM In reply to

My mom's horse is around nine, though. That's what's weird. I kind of hope is is strangles, but I don't think so. I'll call the vet tonight and ask. Thanks for your answers :)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.