Myka - 3 year old Morgan filly

Last post 12-18-2011 6:19 PM by Missyclare. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 12-12-2011 7:35 PM

Myka - 3 year old Morgan filly

Here are some pictures of my 3 year old morgan filly, Myka. I started her this last spring and have been riding her all summer under the instruction of my dressage instructor. We went to our first schooling show (her's and mine) in October and scored 56% in both Intro Test A and B. She has always placed in open shows. I showed her in her first under saddle class this last summer and we won 4/13. I was really proud of her! I am hoping to show her dressage with some open pleasure shows thrown in. Maybe even get to FEI level in the future. I guess let me know what you guys think of her as a prospect for upper level dressage.

Thanks!

Trotting

• 12-12-2011 9:02 PM In reply to

Re: Myka - 3 year old Morgan filly

sweet, what a gorgeous little beautySmile
    Gailforce -- Another old lady rediscovering her inner cowgirl.
  • 12-17-2011 4:41 PM In reply to

Your Horse is beautiful! I'm afraid I don't know much about the dressage ring, but I'm rooting for you! Good luck!

Seven Days Without A Horse Makes One Weak ~ Author Unknown

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me! ~ Phillipians 4:13
  • 12-17-2011 7:44 PM In reply to

Without a video of her movement it would be impossible to speculate on her future as an upper level dressage horse. Getting only a 56 in an Intro test might indicate poor movement, but also it could mean a rider that couldn't get what is needed for a better score. IMHO.

Juno and I got a 50 in Training Level 4, not b/c she was unsuited to dressage--a Dutch clinician said that she could easily reach the Grand Prix level--but b/c I was just sitting on her, not riding her. I had no idea how to RIDE a dressage test then.
    Megan

"The horse you get off is not the horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better."

Anonymous

• 12-18-2011 6:57 AM In reply to

48northfarm:
    Without a video of her movement it would be impossible to speculate on her future as an upper level dressage horse. Getting only a 56 in an Intro test might indicate poor movement, but also it could mean a rider that couldn't get what is needed for a better score. IMHO.

Juno and I got a 50 in Training Level 4, not b/c she was unsuited to dressage--a Dutch clinician said that she could easily reach the Grand Prix level--but b/c I was just sitting on her, not riding her. I had no idea how to RIDE a dressage test then.

It was my first dressage show ever as well as hers. She was nervous, I was nervous. And it didn't help she wouldn't pay attention to my leg! haha Oh well. We had good scores on the movements that she did listen to my leg. We earned 7's on all of our free walks. The judge was just looking for more activity. If she had been listening to my leg (or if I would have known how to make her) we would have gotten a better score. All the comments from the judges said that she just needs more mileage which is what my instructor said too.

I will try to find a video but I am not sure if we took one of her or not....

• 12-18-2011 6:19 PM In reply to

She has a very nicely balanced body and well balanced feet as well. It sounds like you are on a wonderful journey of improvement and challenge and doing things well. It will take you where it takes you. Its a darn good start, sounds like a great partnership and lots of good support. Enjoy the ride! 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.