Simco Saddle Identification

Last post 12-10-2012 10:35 PM by Miss_Versatility . 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 11-29-2012 9:23 PM

Simco Saddle Identification

Still looking on information on my saddle. Its a simco and has C 460 Stamped on the back behind the seat, not sure what that part is called but i have a picture of it linked on here. Can't find any contact info on Simco Company online. I got ahold of Action Saddle Company they dont have any information on this saddle, but believe it to be from the 1960's

Anyone have a clue?
    Without my horse, im just human. Without me, my horse is just an animal. But when you put us together we become an unstoppable team!

Photobucket

Crying the Blues, 23 year old National Show horse (Pictured above)
    R Impulsive Invite, 6 year old Appaloosa

HOTM Jan 2010
    Luvs Fantacy, 29 year old National Show Horse (Rest in Peace, December 4, 2009)
  • 12-02-2012 9:20 PM In reply to

Re: Simco Saddle Identification

I'm assuming this is a custom made back in the day? Theres a model in 1974 that kinda looks like it, but not exactly. model number 5552. All the serial numbers i find start with a number not a letter like mine does :/ 

Without my horse, im just human. Without me, my horse is just an animal. But when you put us together we become an unstoppable team!

Photobucket

HOTM Jan 2010
  • 12-10-2012 10:35 PM In reply to

Re: Simco Saddle Identification

I contacted Crates this is what i got back :)

Dear Ms. Corbin, Simco was owned and operated by the Crates family from  the early 1930’s until we sold it  in 1980.  In 1981 my father and I started  Crates Leather. Many former Simco employees became Crates saddlemakers  Simco has been sold three times since 1981 and as no remote similarity to the current Crates Company. The model 460 actually dates back to the late 1950’s. We called it  the

“Bill Olson” roper, for a former cowboy and friend of my father Bob Crates.  It had no relationship with the year of 1960.As to the little “C”, I don’t remember this , but perhaps one of our former saddlery dealers attached this C to identify it as one coming from his store. As I recall we made this model for maybe ten years, so it would have spanned the 1960’s more than likely. The story of the  6-pedal vs; 8-pedal  I do not remember anything about this  point.  As I served as president of the company from about  1965 until we sold in 1980 it should have come up, but I have no recollection.  We made quite a few of this model, maybe in the vicinity of 4 to 5 hundred.

I'm hoping that They might know what it sold for or what it might be worth today. Either way i got enough information for me to be happy. I'm so close to saying lets make it a piece of artwork in the living room being its 60 years old and still looks as amazing as it does :) Untill the day i can afford a new saddle this is my daily saddle 

Photobucket

HOTM Jan 2010

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.