Dressage Saddles for Petite Riders

Last post 03-27-2006 1:00 PM by HungarianW. 37 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 03-27-2006 1:00 PM

Dressage Saddles for Petite Riders

I'm looking into buying a nice dressage saddle, but I need flaps to be 16 inches or shorter (preferably). I was considering buying a Stubben Juventus which is a "youth" saddle, but has short flaps and comes in a nice seat size 17. Any thoughts about this saddle? It sure does look sharp. Cool

• 03-27-2006 1:07 PM In reply to

Re: Dressage Saddles for Petite Riders

When I was looking for a saddle I tried this saddle and absolutely LOVED it. The reason I didn't buy it was the seat fit me, but I'm 5'10 and you can't get then with an extra long flap. I ended up with a Passier Grand Gilbert, which is such a cadilac and I love it. But I really enjoyed the stubben and the seat was amazingly comfortable for a stubben which is known for the hard seats. The saddle also has a small twist which is great if you have small hips and have issues with hips popping with other saddles. (which I do) The passier is also a great saddle, but a little more expensive. I think that you will have great luck with this saddle.
  • 03-27-2006 1:20 PM In reply to

Yay! I'm so happy to hear from someone who has actually tried it. It seemed like it would be a good saddle for me since I don't have a bunch of money to spend. I'm only about 5'1, so I need pretty short flaps!
  • 03-27-2006 1:23 PM In reply to

It should be a great saddle for you. I does feel and fit like a very expensive saddle, but I think b/c it is a youth they decrease the price. I had great luck with it fitting the horses aswell. A the time I had 5 horses all warmbloods and it fit 4 of them great. Good luck with you'll love it!!! Keep me posted on if you get it and if you like it.
  • 03-27-2006 1:31 PM In reply to

That's really encouraging! Thank you! I am newly addicted to dressage, but have a while to shop because I'm recovering from an injury. I have a romanus VSD right now that I'm trying to sell to get funds for the new saddle. I am hooked on dressage.
  • 03-27-2006 1:33 PM In reply to

GREAT! Once you go dressage you never go back. HAHA
  • 03-27-2006 1:36 PM In reply to

Do you ride dressage? Are you with the CA/ADA?
  • 03-27-2006 1:40 PM In reply to

Yes. I have been riding dressage for 9 years now.. Although I have not competed since the 03 season. I was on tour with some clients (I'm also a Equine Sports therapist) and unfortunately my guy got a little neglected. But if gave his brain time to grow. I am a member of the CA/ADA. Are you? (a member/rider) Where do you live/ride?
  • 03-27-2006 1:47 PM In reply to

I'm not a member......yet. I am thinking about joining the CC/ADA and possibly taking some lessons. I rode dressage a bit about 10 or so years ago but have been riding WP and reining since then, with time off to have kids. Smile

I am still trying to figure out the membership stuff - the EC and passport stuff CC and CA memberships. I am easily confused. LOL
  • 03-27-2006 1:49 PM In reply to

Are you located in Alberta?

Yes it can be confusing all of the memberships that you have to have, but you'll get the hang of it. Laugh
  • 03-27-2006 1:53 PM In reply to

Yes, I am in SE Alberta. I get the ADA membership, the AEF membership and the EC membership/passport thing. What I don't get is, do I need a membership for each area group? Like one of the CC and the CA? I hope to get to a few schooling shows in the Calgary area. The CC director wasn't sure they would have schooling shows so that means travelling to the Calgary area - no big deal - but the the CC has the show in June...........ugh. A small fortune in memberships. LOL Good thing I don't plan on joining any reining clubs this year. Smile
  • 03-27-2006 2:17 PM In reply to

Don't quote me on this..... But in order do do a schooling show you only need your EC and AEF membership. Only if you go to recognised shows you need all of the memberships.
  • 03-27-2006 2:29 PM In reply to

I have been corresponding with the pres of CC and she told me I need AEF and CC membership for schooling shows. If I want to do recognized shows (like the one in Claresholm in June) I need the EC/passport stuff BUT I can buy the temporary card for $30 instead.

The passporst are a permanent thing, aren't they? You buy them once and that is it or do they need re-issuing every year?

What barn do you ride at in Calgary?
  • 03-27-2006 3:08 PM In reply to

The passports are permanent, although you do need to re-issue them every year with a new sticker. Only $10.

I am one of the fortunate ones to have my horse in my back yard, but I work with Wendi Hadley, Joely Mann, Paul Balasik, and Lorraine Hill.

With my therapy I travel to many barns from Anderson Ranch (SW) to Lonestar Equestrian (SE) to Dragonfly Farms (NE). It takes me all over the city.

What barn do you ride out of?
  • 03-27-2006 3:22 PM In reply to

Lorraine is the lady who has been helping me figure this all out. She has the patience of a saint! LOL I hope to take a few lessons with her when I get my mare going a little better - as mentioned, my horse is a retired reiner and not moving quite the way I want her to. I hope to try some training level tests this summer however. I rode a Trakehner stallion about 13 years ago and did some schooling shows with him - Lorraine was the judge for one of them but that was so long ago.....

I have been reading the information on the CA website and recognize Joely and Paul's name but that is about it.

I have my own barn and arena. In 2004 I rode with a reiner/trainer named Cody Sapergia. He's in Oklahoma now. Last year I didn't ride with anyone and sorely missed a guiding hand. I'm kind of in limbo right now trying to figure out what to do with myself and my horses.

Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.