Do horses get fleas?

Last post 07-14-2006 11:22 PM by JanJhorses. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 07-14-2006 11:22 PM

Do horses get fleas?

Ok.. silly question... but I've never heard of them having fleas! If not, why not? We had a stray dog show up at the house a few weeks ago & have been battling fleas ever since. Angry We've got it somewhat under control with the cats & the dog.. then I got to thinking... why don't Magic & Stich have 'em? Shocked (Thank goodness!)
  • 07-15-2006 1:53 AM In reply to

Re: Do horses get fleas?

Confused That is a good question!!
    I know we don't have fleas where i live, cause it is too hot and no humidity, ( 13% )so the eggs just get dessicated.
    Sure used to get them down at the beach though!
    Stick out tounge
  • 07-15-2006 4:09 AM In reply to

Nope, horses don't get them. In fact give your dog one of your saddle pads to sleep on as a blanket, helps with the fleas for the dog. Smile
    ~Kristin~
  • 07-15-2006 11:15 AM In reply to

Why? Do horses smell funny to fleas or do they have oils in their skin that fleas are not attracted to? This is very interesting to me. I've actually never thought about whether horses get fleas or not. Very curious.

Thank You Pride-in-Paints!!
  • 07-15-2006 12:11 PM In reply to

I think the PH of a horses' skin has something to do with it. Horses sweat, dogs don't, so the PH of the horses skin can switch from slightly acidic to basic, not a good environment for fleas to try to inhabit.

The only man for me...love you Ernie

• 07-15-2006 5:44 PM In reply to

Honestly, I have no idea why. Smile
    ~Kristin~
  • 07-16-2006 9:46 AM In reply to

Dog fleas live on dogs and not horses.
    So they might land on a horse but will not live there.... Smile
    But!!!!!! I had a client with fleas on her sheep. They were very happy to live on the ponies too.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.