What's a good topical treatment for proud flesh?

Last post 07-21-2006 9:46 AM by Katie. 38 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 07-21-2006 10:54 PM In reply to

Re: What's a good topical treatment for proud flesh?

Ooo so many awesome responses! Thanks everyone! Smile

I decided to go with Wonder Dust for now. Smile I hope hope hope it works!! I *might* scrub away the PF too, I don't know yet, though.

I feel like this is a dumb question -- Can I put Wonder Dust on the wound if it's still bleeding once I've scrubbed it? If I hose the leg ('cause it's still swollen) can I put wonder dust on the wet wound (Hey, it's a drying agent, right? Right?! Smile )

Aaaaand... do wounds like this usually cause the leg to swell?!? Poor guy, his whole lower leg is swollen and it's hot. Oi, does that mean it's infected? Ack Ack Ack!! Smile Blush

Thanks SBWhisperer27!
  • 07-22-2006 3:14 AM In reply to

Quote:

Can I put Wonder Dust on the wound if it's still bleeding

Yep Smile

Quote:

If I hose the leg ('cause it's still swollen) can I put wonder dust on the wet wound

Yep, it needs to be a bit wet for the Wonder Dust to stick to it.

Quote:

do wounds like this usually cause the leg to swell?!? Poor guy, his whole lower leg is swollen and it's hot. Oi, does that mean it's infected?

Sounds infected. Have you had him on a round of antibiotics? For one of our horses, I'd give 25cc's of penacillin twice a day for 7-10 days. Better to be safe than sorry Wink

Karem
  • 07-22-2006 2:21 PM In reply to

Thank you! Smile

Good news -- the swelling in his leg has gone down SO MUCH -- there is about half as much swelling as there used to be, and this time the majority of it is localised to the wound. Yeah!!

I got some pics for ya'll today. Grin Too bad I didn't nab any of his leg yesterday for comparison in the swelling. Yesterday I hosed for about 20 minutes, put on some Furazone (I hadn't been out to pick up the Wonder Dust yet, and I figured it was better than nothing). I had every intention on going out later in the day and hosing again and this time putting on the WD, but it stormed sooo hard and the lightning never quit. All that rain must've done some good, though, because this morning I was greeted with a much improved horsey leg, hehehe. Grin There was some weird white stuff on his wound, but it came off when I hosed it down. And there might have been some raw flesh peeking through one corner of the wound -- whew, I might not have to scrub it after all!

Hehe, OK enough chatter, now for the pics. If you don't like seeing horsey cuts... don't look!

This pic is *attempting* to show the swelling -- I'm not sure how much you can see because the non-swollen leg is farther back. The swollen leg is the one on the right of this pic -- the swelling is mostly around his knee now. OMG, yesterday his leg was like a LOG with swelling, it's soooo much better.

And now for the actual cut...

Wide view... see that grey spot on his front leg? That's the wonder dust! Grin

Thank ya'll soooo much for the advice, I'm so happy that it's getting better, and I'm positive the Wonder Dust will do the trick! Smile

Thanks SBWhisperer27!
  • 07-22-2006 2:37 PM In reply to

I can't quite tell, but that looks like a pretty good cut, I would chat with the vet about some antibiotics. Better safe than sorry.
    I hope the Wonderdust works for you. Smile
    ~Kristin~
  • 07-22-2006 5:34 PM In reply to

looking at the pic of the wound it appears you have a flap of skin on the top of the wound----if you do that is you site of infection---you need to cut off that flap of skin or the infection will get worse---always cut off loose flaps of skin on any wound
  • 07-23-2006 9:54 AM In reply to

I dont remove flaps of skin if I can clean it well. Also a "U" shape flap is better than the reverse. Aces flap was reverse I would have tried to save it but it was pretty much rotted when I got him. I find if the skin isn't viable it will sluff off in a day of two,if that happens I clean up the raw edge. I find this easier to do after hosing with cold water for 10 to 20 min as the wound is a bit numb and the "bad" stuff will look soggy. I use a pair of cuticle scissors that I have blunted the points a little bit.
  • 07-23-2006 11:34 AM In reply to

Hmm a "flap" of skin would mean you can kinda... move it around, right? Because what looks like a flap of skin in the pic is firmly stuck to the rest of him...

Aah, dumb question time again. Smile Why is a reverse U worse?

Thanks SBWhisperer27!
  • 07-24-2006 10:18 AM In reply to

Because it tends to hang away from the body it is less likely to reattach. Aces was so bad (when I got him he had vet wrap around his legs) I thought there was gauze or something under the wrap but no it was a big flap that whoever wrapped him either didn't get pulled back in place or it dropped down under the wrap.
  • 07-24-2006 1:59 PM In reply to

This product is a little prices but works fabulous for proud flesh. It is called "equiaide" you can wrap it or not and it forms a hard sort of crust over the wound that keeps flies out. In 3 weeks my horse was nearly completely healed.
  • 07-25-2006 9:24 AM In reply to

The only thing that I could reccomend 100% and know it works is Derma-Gel, in the squeeze bottle http://www.derma-gel.com/pages/index.html its the 2nd bottle from the left in the pi, it works miracles....
  • 07-25-2006 3:23 PM In reply to

I second the equiaide. My mare's wound went from cauliflower to "that's not so bad" in a week and a half. Here's what it looks like now (attachment).

edited to add link to Equaide website
    Katie

• 07-25-2006 4:45 PM In reply to

Wow! $16 an ounce is kinda scary, but your mare's leg looks like it's really healing well. My little darling got a wound Sunday that will probably granulate quite a bit, he's good at that. I will have to consider ordering some Equaide.

Thank you MadMare!!!

"So now boss man, here's my 2 weeks,
    I'll make it short and sweet!" --Sugarland
  • 07-27-2006 3:27 AM In reply to

I'll have to ask how long the two ounce container lasted - I'm thinking it lasted a couple of weeks. It is kind of spendy! I never looked at the price! Shocked

You know, Preparation H works great - as long as the wound is not in a muscle-laden area.
    Katie

• 07-27-2006 9:21 AM In reply to

For something that doesn't melt and it works great - WONDER DUST
    http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=2e87c5fb-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

I normally prefer natural products and have found DERMA GEL to be a miracle topical - for anytning including proud flesh.
    http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=d01cb227-fe5c-432d-ae5e-cade03ff5189

Having said that - I really think the WONDER DUST is your best bet for your situation & it's a great staple to have in the barn-a tried and true product that's been around for aeons=-;>
  • 07-27-2006 10:00 AM In reply to

Ya mean like SMACK IN THE MIDDLE OF HIS BACK??? Sorry, I'm OK really. I just have a really klutzy horse....

Thank you MadMare!!!

"So now boss man, here's my 2 weeks,
    I'll make it short and sweet!" --Sugarland

Page 2 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.