Best Places to Live with Horses in the U.S.

Last post 04-22-2012 10:37 PM by jazzalbart. 56 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (57 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 01-11-2009 5:18 PM

Best Places to Live with Horses in the U.S.

Hi,

My husband and I are contemplating a big move sometime during the next year. Anyone want to weigh in on where they live and why it's so wonderful or not so wonderful for keeping horses? We are avid trail riders. We are not retired so, unfortunately, a decent job market would be a must as well.

Thanks so much.

Karen

• 01-11-2009 6:49 PM In reply to

Re: Best Places to Live with Horses in the U.S.

Well, forget decent job market, there isn't one of those anywhere right now, but here's hoping it turns around in a year.

As for great places to live with horses, they are pretty much divided into two categories:  (1) Money  (2) Us Normal Folks.

If you fall within category (1), perfect places that I know are Aiken, SC, Lexington, KY or Southern Pines, NC, along with northern VA.  The Carolinas and VA are certainly the epicenter for eventing in the US, KY running close behind.  

If you fall within category (2), well, lots of places!  I moved to the Carolinas partly because of great horse opportunities available and there are great trails literally from mtns to sea.  Along with mild climate, it works out well for me.  I also grew up in KY and it seems there's a horse farm around every corner.  A little colder and longer winters, but nothing terribly harsh and you get the added bonus of the Horse Park.

Solaris -- 16 hh Appendix Quarter Horse = MY DREAM COME TRUE!
    We Are Flying Solo
  • 01-11-2009 9:20 PM In reply to

Personally I love Texas.  It never gets too cold to rideSmile  But it does get very hot in the summer.  Personally I like that, probably because I was born and raised here.  I dont ride in the worst heat.  I just cut back to mornings and evenings that time of year.

Where are you at now?

I ride high in the saddle, always saddle my own horse
    still I'm every inch a lady from the outside to the core
    I take the trail less traveled `cause I know where it leads
    I live my life by the cowgirl creed

As for me and my horse, we will ride for the Lord!
  • 01-12-2009 7:29 AM In reply to

Well, my horses would probably vote for Northern Wisconsin, because they get a long break from work during the winter months!  Some people do ride all winter long, but I prefer warmth.  ;-)  Additionally, the break from flies and other pests during the winter is fabulous.  Additionally, my horses hooves don't really grow much during the winter... a farrier once told me it is because they are concentrating their energy on keeping WARM.  Don't know if that's true, but I do know as soon as it starts getting warm I have to get the clippers out!

Though it is sometimes frustrating not riding all winter (and I plan to remedy that by building an indoor riding arena), I don't know if I would be willing to move because I positively LOVE riding in the fall.  The leaves are spectacular, the weather is just right (cool, but not too cold) and there are NO BUGS!!
  • 01-12-2009 2:25 PM In reply to

I'm with you 100% Amberp!!!!!!  Where else can you ride comfortably well into January and sometimes February before it really gets cold (in Central Texas, that is) and where else are you going to find more miles of trail or room to ride?  Texas has more trails and places to ride and room to keep horses than anywhere in the United States, and you can virtually pick your favorite season by which area of the State you live in.  Like it a little colder with more pronounced seasons?  North TX.  Warmer, tropical-like climate?  The Gulf Coast or South Texas.  Mountains?  West.  Green, green pastures and trees?  East Tx.  Or a little of all of the above?  Central Texas.  What more could a horse person want? 

And as far as the job market, with metroplexes like Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, Austin, Amarillo, Abilene, San Antonio and El Paso just to name a few, the job market here is a little better than many elsewhere because there are so many more, bigger busier cities and towns to work in.  To me there's just no question.

Oh and horses hooves grow faster in the warmer climate because there's more grazing; thus more natural biotin intake.

• 01-12-2009 2:36 PM In reply to

Nikelodeon79, I agree with you about fall... absolute best time to ride, followed by by spring. I hate the winters up here but I enjoy the changing of the seasons. One thing I really hate about winter riding besides the obvious cold is that snow tends to pile up on the roof of indoor arenas, and even the most experienced school horse will have "OHMYGODWHATISHAPPENINGOVERMYHEADHELPME!" moments when the snow starts sliding down the roof and hitting the ground below.
    http://alittlefaith16.wordpress.com/

Photobucket
  • 01-12-2009 4:43 PM In reply to

I will give you my vote for NM, mainly Albuquerque, although there are some other great towns to live in here as well. New Mexico is a great place to live if you love anything outdoors...especially riding. Because our winters are virtually non-existent (not that much snow, mild temps, etc.) riding year-long is a great perk. Our summers are warm, but not like Phoenix. Talk to anyone that lives here and they will tell you we have the best weather in the country. Mild winters, warm summers, lovely fall and spring. We also have virtually no humidity. And Albuquerque, which is where I am, still has a series of trails along the river and the bosque that are beautiful. On any given day you'll find plenty of trail riders. If you go a little further south of ABQ, which is where my horse lives, the equine community is even more pronounced because it's a little more rural. 

You can get anywhere in the city within 30-40 minutes, depending on traffic. We have a wonderful mountain which provides you with more trail riding options if you like to trailer your horses around too. Besides our weather and landscape, the job market here has not been as effected as most of the other parts of the country. Of course, it depends on the industries that you and your husband work in too. Same with the housing market. Our cost of living is much cheaper than some of the major cities of our neighbors (AZ and CO). The food here is phenomenal....I could just go on and on. If you want to check out what other locals say, and find more information on Albuquerque you can check out www.dukecityfix.com.  It's actually a great resource for people that already live here or are thinking about living here. I check it all of the time! Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

• 01-12-2009 5:54 PM In reply to

I live in New England, and I have a problem with the winter. I think that New Mexico sounds good! In New England we have 4 seasons- Spring (mud!!!!!) Summer(bugs, warm to hot) Fall(really pretty, ticks) and winter. I hate winter. Right now we have ice covered in snow, fun, fun, fun. Fall is pretty and summer can be nice, but there are too many bugs here for Lila and my liking. Winter is just cold and snowy enough to be anonying. Then sometimes it'll rain and freeze and we'll have ice. Big Smile As you can tell, I'm pretty sick of winter!

But we have beautiful trails and lakes and beaches. Winter riding can be fun if you like that sorta thing. There are a lot of horse people were I live. Oh, and hay is pretty cheap in CT beacuse there are a lot of farmers.

If I were you, I go somewere were there is no winter. Good Luck!!!!Big Smile

• 01-12-2009 6:17 PM In reply to

I live down in Albuquerque and love it. (I moved here form Colorado) It is nice year round. It does get hot, but not as hot as TX and it is dry here. Also, a lot of places to trail ride. :)

• 01-12-2009 8:35 PM In reply to

Thanks guys. Great information.

Equestrian1990- whereabouts in Colorado did you live? Colorado has always appealed to us, but I've heard there you have to be careful buying property- something to do with water rights. Any info?

Karen

• 01-12-2009 9:16 PM In reply to

721461:

Thanks guys. Great information.

Equestrian1990- whereabouts in Colorado did you live? Colorado has always appealed to us, but I've heard there you have to be careful buying property- something to do with water rights. Any info?

Karen

I lived in Boulder and Erie (weld county) It gets very cold there though in the winter. I am not sure what is going on with the water rights, I know one thing, and that Boulder County DOES NOT like horses, if they could they would shut down every barn there. So it is very hard to find horse propersites for sale. Sorry don't know anything about the water though

• 01-13-2009 8:27 AM In reply to

Equestrian1990, where in Abq are you? Do you board your horses? Do you show? I didn't know we had a fellow New Mexican on the forum. How exciting! Whyis this writing in bold? Haha

• 01-13-2009 8:30 AM In reply to

Grace and Lila:

I live in New England, and I have a problem with the winter. I think that New Mexico sounds good! In New England we have 4 seasons- Spring (mud!!!!!) Summer(bugs, warm to hot) Fall(really pretty, ticks) and winter. I hate winter. Right now we have ice covered in snow, fun, fun, fun. Fall is pretty and summer can be nice, but there are too many bugs here for Lila and my liking. Winter is just cold and snowy enough to be anonying. Then sometimes it'll rain and freeze and we'll have ice. Big Smile As you can tell, I'm pretty sick of winter!

But we have beautiful trails and lakes and beaches. Winter riding can be fun if you like that sorta thing. There are a lot of horse people were I live. Oh, and hay is pretty cheap in CT beacuse there are a lot of farmers.

If I were you, I go somewere were there is no winter. Good Luck!!!!Big Smile

I have a friend from New England that moved down here and she said the same thing about the winters. We do have four distinct seasons in NM but the winters just aren't as bad as other places. In Abq, it'll be snowing in the morning and then by 2pm it'll be 50 degrees and the snow will all be gone. The one thing that we don't have is a lot of water and beaches, which some people that are used to that sort of thing really miss.

• 01-13-2009 8:48 AM In reply to

New Mexico really is georgous - especially Ruidoso in August and September (All American Futurity time).  I'd have to say it is my 2nd favorite place.  My husband's best friend lives in Hatch and my best friend spends the Ruidoso Downs meet season at her Dad's in Ruidoso, so that's when we like to go visit.   And it's so easy to get from the valley to the mountains, much shorter trip than in Texas.  Y'all cross state lines like we cross counties!

• 01-13-2009 8:52 AM In reply to

Ruidoso is pretty. And I do recall seeing a ton of TX license plates the last time I was there. Wink If you ever get a chance try Taos or Red River too. Very pretty.

Page 1 of 4 (57 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.