Worming colts, or anything really...

Last post 07-15-2009 5:49 PM by FloridaHorseman. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 07-09-2009 6:28 AM

Worming colts, or anything really...

This is a pretty basic question, but one that gets lots of different answers.  I will be getting a colt that just turned four months old June 26th, he has not been wormed.  We will be moving him in the next few days to a friend of mine to finish his weaning, and then out to my house.  I wanted to worm him at his birth barn, and leave the worms there.  What do you guys use to worm colts?  One vet in my area says strongid paste, one Shacklee soap (by the way, has anyone else heard of using that?), one says ivermectin, and some say oxibendazole.  I DON'T want to hurt this little guy, I have big plans of long trails in a few years, but what is safe, and what works best in foals? I know all are safe for adult horses, but many say not before 6 months.....which should I use???  Thank you!

Mojo, 1980?-10/1/2010. RIP Mo-man. I know your life had many bad times in it, and I sincerely hope I made your last few years here on Earth happy and comfortable, with as much love and yummies as your huge heart desired. I love you bud, have fun running in the pastures of heaven. Until we meet again...
  • 07-09-2009 1:57 PM In reply to

Re: Worming colts, or anything really...

If you must worm your colt, use Strongid paste. It tends to be milder than other wormers, and it's approved for use on foals 4 weeks or older.

I tend to avoid worming until at least 6 months either way, just because it really isn't going to hurt them to wait. Unless you live in an area where heavy worm infestations are common, or the foal is being turned out and exposed to many other horses, the risk of them contracting serious parasite loads is pretty slim. 

• 07-15-2009 2:19 PM In reply to

Thank you! I wormed with strongid, though I'm not sure how much the little booger got as it turns out he has and extraordinary talent of balling it up and spitting it out.  He was in with six adult horses that were not wormed regularly.  He is at a friend of mine's barn till the end of this week, and then will be moving home.  So far he is turning out to be my absolute dream come true. Thank you for the advice!

Mojo, 1980?-10/1/2010. RIP Mo-man. I know your life had many bad times in it, and I sincerely hope I made your last few years here on Earth happy and comfortable, with as much love and yummies as your huge heart desired. I love you bud, have fun running in the pastures of heaven. Until we meet again...
  • 07-15-2009 5:49 PM In reply to

You may also want to follow up your deworming with probiotics added to the colt's feed. Those insecticides can also kill off some necessary gut flora the little guy needs to properly digest his food. ~FH

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.