Real riding jeans for women

Last post 05-19-2013 5:56 AM by walbarbsa. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 01-26-2010 5:53 PM

Real riding jeans for women

I just got one of my "horse" catalogs with the usual offering of jeans being worn by young women in their teens and twenties. Don't get me wrong, they look great, but you would think that was the only age group that rides horses.

I'm 57 and in good shape, but I hate those low rise jeans. They don't look good on older women and, sorry to say, on most women of any age. They aren't practical for mounting, dismounting or even sitting on a horse. I gave in last year out of desperation and bought a couple of pair that didn't seem too low, but darnit, they still slide down too much when I'm getting on my horse. I won't even go into how uncomfortable and impractical they are for chores.

One of my girlfriends resorted to wearing men's jeans, but they really don't fit right either. I'm still managing to wear a couple of older Cruel Girl jeans that come just below my waist (perfect) and have a slim, straight leg that doesn't ride up.

I want to look nice, but I also want to be comfortable. When will manufacturers start making jeans that are made for riding again? Am I the only one who hates the "new" look?
  • 01-26-2010 6:08 PM In reply to

Re: Real riding jeans for women

I agree totally - I ride western, and my winter jeans, even though they are "boot cut" aren't long enough when I'm in the saddle.  I bought a couple pair of Lee off-the rack with the spandex in them, they are GREAT for riding - enough give in the leg from the spandex to let you ground mount, but they don't bag, they are long enough on the leg and don't go too low.  Unfortunately I bought them several years ago and am having a hard time finding more.

http://vashtihorse.blogspot.com/
  • 01-26-2010 6:19 PM In reply to

I have a couple of pairs of Lee Riders which are stretchy and comfortable that I live in, lol. They're not expensive either.

• 01-27-2010 6:54 AM In reply to

You sound like me. I'm glad I bought two pair of Cruel Girl jeans that I really like and that aren't worn out (yet). They are straight cut and they sit just below my waist so they are very comfortable.

I took a look at the Cruel Girl website and all I can find is the low rise boot cut, but I think Cruel Girl is somehow affiliated with Rocky and Rocky still carries their high-rise SLR style. However, I'm not totally happy with that style because of the waist, which is usually a bit tight for me. (I'm not curvy.)

I didn't realize that Western riding jeans were so geared towards current styles and even though I prefer Western, I'm actually kind of jealous of the English riders because their clothes are made for riding. When I look at the catalogs showing Western jeans, the girls look like they are going out to the local bars to get picked up. I'm either looking at someone's belly button (and tight little T-shirt) or their rear ends. It's as if Western riding wear for women (notice how good looking and practical the men's clothes are) isn't about riding at all and more about glamour that looks like it belongs in some men's magazine.

I do think a jean with some stretch is a great idea because one problem I run into with all of my jeans is they tend to bunch by my knees and rub when I'm riding. 

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I know there must be more of us and I just wish the industry would realize that!

One last gripe. Why can't they make nice, simple shirts like they do for men? When I was showing in reining, the best dressed women riders wore long-sleeve shirts with button down collars. They are out there, but try finding them and at a reasonable price!
    Filed under:
  • 01-27-2010 7:45 AM In reply to

i like these:

http://www.wrangler.com/store/WRG_WESTERN_STORE_US/en_US/style/wrc10.html

eta:  it doesn't say it here, but they have the no-gap waistband so my shirts stay tucked in better.

• 01-27-2010 8:32 AM In reply to

I really like the older style Cruel Girl jeans, and have quite a few pair of those. But, I've also got 2 pair of the Wrangler Cash (with no gap waist) and 3 of the Q-baby jeans. What I like best about the Q-baby is that they come long enough for me! When riding I need a 38" inseam and that's nearly impossible to find in women's jeans! :) I think they've also come out with a Jet - which is styled after the Cash jeans - but has a little bit of stretch.

• 01-27-2010 4:46 PM In reply to

Which style of Lee Riders is that?
  • 01-27-2010 4:57 PM In reply to

Thank you for the link. I actually have two pair of those jeans and they have been the best fit so far. I guess my favorite fit was my older Cruel Girls and I'm wishing they still made that style. I may end up trying Rockies again or just try to make it through with what I've got.

I am noticing that the really low rise is starting to lose popularity in the regular jeans I find at department stores and I even got some very nice Lee jeans (not for riding) that were a bit stretchy and the rise was perfect. I bought 3 pair of those!

Anyway, I truly appreciate the feedback and when I find some jeans I love, I'll let everyone know.
  • 01-27-2010 6:22 PM In reply to

Cruel girl jeans are the only brand i have ever found that are comfortable to ride and work in and they dont look awful.

Lifes to short to dance with ugly cowboys
  • 01-27-2010 11:30 PM In reply to

I am so glad you raised this subject, Anne W. I see catalog pages and pages of riding jeans that are just not practical for riding, and when I do run into the occasional stretch jean, they're low rise. I actually bought a pair of low rise denim stretch jeans and got so disgusted with them, I started riding in english breeches out on the trail. It looked crazy, me on my western horse wearing cowboy boots and english breeches, but I could feel the horse better and not have to worry about bunching up or seams that rubbed. My four pairs of breeches took quite a beating going through brush on the trail, so now I'm back to wearing whatever I can find in my drawer that doesn't have seams. Between rides, I'm shopping once again through pages and pages of riding jeans that are either not practical for riding, or the ocasional denim that are low-rise. What I wouldn't give for a pair of riding jeans for comfort and on the trail. ...don't get me started!

• 01-28-2010 8:31 AM In reply to

Thank you, Dee, for your response. I really needed to hear that from someone else. I have tried contacting the manufacturers and I've seen a couple of styles I "might" like, but I'm never sure about size. I did buy some Wranglers that have what they are now calling "performance" rise. I guess that means they are still low in the front, but higher in the back so my butt won't fall out when I'm mounting. What the manufacturers still aren't getting is that maybe once I'm on my horse these work okay, but they are still not what I want when I'm carrying buckets, saddles and, in general, working around my horses on the ground. I understand why it's practical to buy longer legs in riding jeans, but now that they all have that flair, instead of stacking up on my boot they drag on the ground.

I give you credit for trying the breeches. I just spotted some that are actually denim, and maybe that's what I'll end up doing. I'm also going to try contacting some of the magazines to see if they would do a poll. Maybe if the manufacturers saw that there was a desire for this sort of thing they would start catering again to the women who work with and ride horses.
  • 01-28-2010 9:16 AM In reply to

Course there's always my old standby, my regular old cowboy cut wranglers. Not low rise and lots cheaper too.

• 02-09-2010 3:16 PM In reply to

i found that as long as the jean is a good cut at the gut and is not boot or flar or bell bottom that are shretchy, it does not matter the brand. i've got arizon, lee, wrangler....i hit the outlet malls and last yr clearnace rakes so i don't have to spend a mountain of money.  a good way of finding out if they will cover you when riding is to squat when you try them on. if the dip or flar in the back, no good for riding.

• 02-09-2010 4:09 PM In reply to

You are really lucky, Mindy. You must wear the right size because one of my other problems is exactly that, finding my size. I need anywhere from a 3 to a 5 depending on the brand and sometimes (not often) even a 3 is too big!! But what's really irritating is if there is a smaller size, then often it's too tight. But, to be honest, that seems to be a problem with slacks or jeans in general. When you think of all the shapes and sizes that people come in, it's kind of a miracle to find anything that actually fits!
  • 02-22-2010 8:53 AM In reply to

I urge ALL the ladies to look at the Fuzzy Logic Riding pants -- NO MATTER YOUR SIZE because they will custom make riding pants for you!!!!!

I have two pair of the summer weights and love them!  Not only are they extremely comfortable to ride in, but they are so "spiffy" looking, I have been wearing them to work all winter long.  They are much warmer than regular slacks and actually warmer than blue jeans, while still keeping you cool - if that makes any sense.

I am well acquainted with Claudia (EQ Gifts) that sells the Fuzzy Logic pants from another horse forum.  I promise promise promise, she is a very ethical and honest business person.  She is also a long time serious trail rider.

And speaking of that, the Fuzzy Logic pants were designed and are U.S.A. made by women who ride both on the trails and in the show ring.

I can't say enough good about these riding pants except as soon as I get over choking on my $350 bill for the equine and canine chiropractor, I am going to buy a third pair:)

http://cqequinegifts.com/

Here's the actual Fuzzy Logic website for more information:  http://www.fuzzylogicequine.com/

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.