Horse has swollen fetlock and vet is out until Wednesday...

Last post 12-21-2011 10:48 AM by Solaris. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 12-20-2011 2:25 PM In reply to

Re: Horse has swollen fetlock and vet is out until Wednesday...

Solaris it is still swollen, from his coronary band to his fetlock, but not nearly as bad as the day before, where it looked like he had a horse version of cankles.  It's also hard to tell if his gate is altered because of the swelling or if it's the ground, but I'll try to get a video tomorrow (the sun has already gone down).

He doesn't have a temp or any heat which eliminates an infection in my opinion.  My regular vet also stopped by to say hi since she was on her way by and seeing that Solo (my horse) was wrapped she looked him over, and having know him for close to 10 years (she was also his vet prior to me owning him) she thinks he was probably goofing off and whacked it on something or tried to take a tight turn a little to fast and tweaked it.  She also suggested I continue with wrapping and cold hosing when it's above freezing, and then the bute was up to me.

• 12-20-2011 6:20 PM In reply to

Hey, it's Solo the 2nd, hee hee!  But at any rate -- does he have a history of cellulitis by any chance?  A gelding at our farm will get it on and off with no provocation and gets similar swelling to what you are describing.  He is hosed and sometimes wrapped and that is generally enough to clear it.  If it spreads up his leg, he gets antibiotics.  But it can linger and make the joint stiff.  

Solaris -- 16 hh Appendix Quarter Horse = MY DREAM COME TRUE!
    We Are Flying Solo
  • 12-20-2011 7:49 PM In reply to

It sounds like Solo the 2nd's wound is much less serious than Havannah's. Hers were painful to work on--that's why I suggested to you the hay net, I thought Solo's was painful and that's why he wouldn't stand for you--but it appears it never was too painful and he usually stands for you without tying (after some re-education when you get home). Havannah's LR fetlock is still swollen, like Solo's, but hers has been like that for several months. My vet said that the LR leg must still be healing--last time I talked to her--but it's been an awfully long time, so I just emailed her for some advice. Like Solo, Havannah is not lame and her gaits are fine. She also has 2.5 acres to wander around. I'll be interested to see to what Solo's swelling is attributed.
    Megan

"The horse you get off is not the horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better."

Anonymous

• 12-20-2011 8:49 PM In reply to

The only medical issue I have ever known my horse to have is that he hyperextends his rear fetlocks which is believed to have been caused by stress from the track as a claimer.

I'm starting to think more and more that he either hit himself doing something, or that it was the change in joint supplement.  Our current supplier is talking about not selling Rapid Flex anymore, so we decided we'd try Finish Line's brand which was Fluid Action HA, I've taken him off of it and put him back on his old joint supplement, and I'm thinking of ways to convince our supplier to continue to stock it.

• 12-21-2011 8:12 AM In reply to

I got some more pictures from this morning, the swelling is pretty much gone, so I didn't cold hose (didn't cold hose yesterday either).  I'm continuing to wrap mostly since he seems to enjoy having his rear legs wrapped and he doesn't seem as stiff in the mornings as he usually is when it's this cold out.

This morning I took him out to the pasture through our roadside barways rather than his usual gate to avoid the rough ground, he was actually standing at the gate this morning, and when I opened it his pony buddy took off and he just stood there getting agitated.  He actually threw out a buck while we were walking to the pasture, which although I'm happy to see him feeling good, he did get yelled at since he knows better than to buck when he's being led, and he walk the rest of the way perfectly and waited for me to unhook the fences and then rehook them before he was set free.  Now I just have to teach our barn kitten that it's NOT ok to start attacking his tail while I'm wrapping his legs, especially since he doesn't like cats as it is, but he did behave.  Personally I think he's enjoying all the extra attention he's been getting lately.

Picture from this am:

• 12-21-2011 10:48 AM In reply to

Sounds like he is healing well and on his way to normal, glad to hear it!

Solaris -- 16 hh Appendix Quarter Horse = MY DREAM COME TRUE!
    We Are Flying Solo

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.