Skin so Soft for fly repellant?

Last post 07-05-2012 8:29 AM by Missyclare. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 04-10-2012 7:53 AM

Skin so Soft for fly repellant?

If memory serves, I used this some years ago as insect repellant rather than the usual types bought at farm supply stores. Anyone else use this? I've ordered some from Avon. Seems like I have to use a different kind every year. what works really well one year, doesn't work the next. Cheap brands don't work at all. I don't want to feed garlic supplements, have not heard all good about that option.

MorganRider
  • 04-11-2012 6:38 AM In reply to

Re: Skin so Soft for fly repellant?

Garlic works great for tick control - not so much for fly control.

I used Skin-so-soft once, many years ago, in a fly spray recipe.  It cost me a huge vet bill as my inky blue-black horse developed huge hives every place I sprayed her.

The majority of horses don't seem to have a reaction to Skin-So-Soft but once you get your recipe, do a test patch on the horse first to be safe:)

• 04-11-2012 6:43 AM In reply to

I never used it in a "recipe." It's likely that combing different ingredientscould make it a skin irritant. I just used it "as is."

MorganRider
  • 04-11-2012 3:44 PM In reply to

When we go riding we use OFF repellant for humans on the horses.  There are different levels of strength and some of them fight off ticks too.  I haven't met a big bad fly that will land on my horse when he is sprayed with the deep woods off.
    DIAL BEAU DOTCOM
  • 04-11-2012 6:02 PM In reply to

http://www.saddlesource.com/repel-x-ii-fly-spray-32oz.html

A lady at the barn I used to ride at uses this exact type of fly spray. It works so well. Her horse has sensitive skin especially around his muzzle. He needs to get ointment on his muzzle because of the flies. She just takes a cloth and sprays a squirt or two on the cloth and wipes it on his nose. No flies bother him. She sprays him with some fly spray after riding and he stays fly free!

I definitely recommend this product.

I have never heard of Skin so Soft fly repellent before.
  • 04-12-2012 2:12 PM In reply to

last year i used absorbine ultra ex.  it was excellent.  although it said it works up to 17 days, it didn't do that.  it does last a few days though. 

i remember using skin so soft about 20 years ago.  i don't recall being that impressed with it.  but the horses smelled nice =^)

Gailforce -- Another old lady rediscovering her inner cowgirl.
  • 04-14-2012 4:46 AM In reply to

Gailforce:

last year i used absorbine ultra ex.  it was excellent.  although it said it works up to 17 days, it didn't do that.  it does last a few days though. 

i remember using skin so soft about 20 years ago.  i don't recall being that impressed with it.  but the horses smelled nice =^)

I'll have to try the Absorbine Unltra Ex as the warm weather wears on since what works now, won't work later:(

For now Zonk is working great for me but I don't have a big fly issue yet --- ticks are my main concern at the moment.

It was around 25 years ago when I first heard of SSS as part of homemade recipes.  Since it cost me a vet bill, I wasn't impressed either but yes, my horse sure smelled nice - lol

"20 years ago" ---- "25 years ago"  that doesn't seem possible.  Where-oh-where has the time gone??Crying

• 04-14-2012 1:00 PM In reply to

I used it on my foal as advised by my vet when I was boarding at a facility where the conditions weren't sanitary.  It worked well.  I use horse repellent now on her now.
  • 04-15-2012 8:36 AM In reply to

I have also heard tha skin so soft works wellas a repellent for flies. And yes garlic is a good tick repellent. Why not put the garlic in the food and not use a supplement?? Just mix it in with their grain.

• 04-15-2012 8:39 AM In reply to

I have also heard that skin so soft works well as a repellent for flies. But I didn't know you needed to change it every year. Also garlic is a great tick repellent. I came from tick country and I use it all the time and never had a problem with ticks. 

• 04-15-2012 8:42 AM In reply to

I also have heard that skin so soft is a good repellent for flies. I didn't know that you needed to change it every year. Thanks for the info. 

• 04-17-2012 10:36 AM In reply to

Here's a link that has all kinds of recipes for homemade fly repellant. I've used a few of them myself but I have yet to find anything that works after you have a sweaty horse and go riding in the woods where the deer flys are rampant. I've been chased out of the woods numerous times because those things are relentless and bite the heck out of my horse.

http://www.moniteausaddleclub.com/flyspray_recipes.htm

If you don't want to stand behind our soldiers who are in danger zones, please stand in front of one.

If you really open your ears and eyes, you will see that there is alot of great advice given on here. You just have to see it and hear it without closing off your mind.

VanHalen 26 yr QH Stallion R.I.P. 4/11/82 - 5/8/08 24 wonderful years together.
    Scout 25-28 yr Paint/Draft Cross Gelding
    Glistening 13 yr Arab/Saddlebred Mare
  • 04-27-2012 10:40 AM In reply to

What about using some flies traps? Traps would work around the barn or stall.

• 05-12-2012 10:10 AM In reply to

I've just tried it - straight Skin so Soft.

Plusses: it does repel flies and bugs. It smells good. Is non toxic. You can get it on your skin and no irrituation. You can spray some on yourself as a fly repellant (Avon also makes a human bug repellant with SSS in it).

Minuses: it is oily so beads up with sweat. but still keeps  the flies off. After a ride (including a bath or hosing off) my horses will still roll so  the SSS (or fly repellant) is a temporary solution for riding. Might be pricey compared to some fly repellants.

MorganRider
  • 05-13-2012 12:20 PM In reply to

i just saw a product by off.  it was a small plastic thing that hangs on your belt loop of wherever.  i wonder if that would work for the horses.  hang it on the saddle while your riding maybe.  it's a bit big to attach to halter for bridle, but, you could i guess.  anyway, said it lasts up to 11 hours.  i might give it a try.

Gailforce -- Another old lady rediscovering her inner cowgirl.

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.